M1 5W-40 T&SUV, 8k miles, 1996 Audi A4 2.8 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol calls hydrocracked mineral oil full synthetic oil in the NA market. Search the site or on the web. It's all over the place.

quote:

Originally posted by Bugzii:

quote:

Originally posted by Mackelroy:
I ran a Toyota 16 valve twin cam, 12,000 rpm redline to 145,000 miles.

Wow! 12,000 rpm redline? Which Toyota model was that? I've always thought that Honda was the only Japanese (mass) carmaker that produces high-revving engine until recent years when Toyota introduced the I4 in the Celica.

It was the MR2 engine 1988, forged pistons 1.6 litre. I also used it as a work vehicle doing service work. So it was started like 20 times a day for that five year period and 145,000 miles. I put a battery in it, a cam belt, change tranny fluid once, rotor cap , spark plugs, original fuel filter never changed(only ran Exxon super unleaded). oil every 3k. never any oil use

Couldn't ask for better longevity with little expense.

When I first got it new , I had it running in my garage , quitest smoothest engine I'd ever heard.

Definitely got my moneys worth out of that one

[ March 20, 2005, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Mackelroy ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mackelroy:
I ran a Toyota 16 valve twin cam, 12,000 rpm redline to 145,000 miles.

I hate to call you out on this, but no way the 1988 Toyota MR2 had a 12,000 RPM redline.

According to info I found online, the peak HP is at 6,000 RPM and peak torque at 4,500 RPM, and the redline is 7,700 RPM's.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I used 5W-50 for years in good faith, believing I was using a true synthetic. Castrol lost me as a customer.

Obviously, deceiving customers, convincing them a product is something which it is not, is wrong. But looking at the end results, has using their oil cause any harm to your vehicle(s)? Your 2.8 looked spotless from what I remember.
smile.gif
Or are you attributing the current increased oil consumption to Castrol? Just curious. Not trying to defend Castrol in any way.
wink.gif

[The rest of the package suffers from no such problem. Toyota's 4A-GE twin-cam, sixteen-valve It may not start howling until about 3500 rpm, but the ride from there to the 7700-rpm redline is the automotive equivalent of a backstage seat at a Mötley Crüe concert. And the five-speed is as good as gearboxes get. Toyota and Honda seem to have a lock on the front-drive shifter franchise, and they're not telling anybody how they do it.
Yes , good that you called me out, I was thinking 10.5 or 11.5 and rounded to 12. But it's been 15 years and lot of sleep and motorcycles. But the above, shows similar to what your saying, and no where near 12k. Maybe it was the tach reading that went to 11.5 or something.

THanks

Yes, and that the weird thing....122k mi. and the engine looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. Why use anything else? And mori, when did the huge amounts of oil consumption begin? After you began using other products/thinner grades?

Castrol calls hydrocracked mineral oil full synthetic oil

What about Slack-Wax Gruppe III? Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back