M1 5W-30 knocking noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 4.6L SOHC V8 sounds slightly like a diesel even when it's warmed up.

I think the M1 5W-30 might have something to do with it - what weight should I try to reduce this sound?

I've had the same problem with Amsoil 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30 and Mobil 1 5w-30. Its not the oil, its the engine. Some say thicker oils mask the problem but I found that no oil made a difference in my case. I'm running 0w-20 now and its actually quieter so go figure.
rolleyes.gif

I may just switch to 0W-40 seeing how it shouldn't harm OHC motors - it would just have better thermal stability.

Ford Warns Of Defective 4.6L Engines In 2001-2004 Models.
23 September 03
Robert Lane

Ford Motor Company told dealers that 4.6L 2V engines built prior to 29 September 03 and installed in 2001 through 2004 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles may have defective cylinder heads.

The engines were installed in:

• 2001 - 2004 Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Cars
• 2002 - 2004 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer
• 2001 - 2004 Ford Mustang GT
• 2001 - 2004 Ford E-Series Vans
• 2001 - 2004 Expedition
• 2001 - 2004 F150s

According to Ford, the 4.6L engines "may exhibit an engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. The noise may be emanating from the valve guide area in the cylinder head. The noise may be more prevalent in the front wheel area, any may not be heard with the hood open."

Unfortunately, Ford may not notify owners of this action and will only perform the service to those who know what to ask for in order to get their vehicle fixed. It's part of Ford's secret warranty program - a.k.a, "If you don't ask, we won't tell."

Owners should contact their Ford of Lincoln Mercury dealership service center to perform service T-31604 or Pat Hoye (313) 248-8336 at Ford World Headquarters or click here for a Ford executive assigned to your area for more information. Owners are advised to have their vehicles inspected before the warranty period expires.

[ September 28, 2003, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

what year is the 4.6? how many miles?

I get odd nioses with my 4.6's once in a while, usually after it has been sitting for a long time, like not run in a week or so

only 9000? use light oil 5w-30 or 0w-30 in winter maybe even 5w-20

were ya think the noise is coming from?
sometimes the timing chains can make noise too

buy the car new? hoepfully if you got it used the prevoius owner did not damage it with heavy oil

i got it brand new. I did run it w/ dino 10W-40 at one time to see how it runs - however I know of many ppl running (actually racing) the same car/engine w/ dino 10W-40 w/o the same noise - I know because I raced their car at the dragstrip a few times.

The noise is definitely from the top end and is MILD - you can hardly notice it. None of my passengers ever hear it but I can detect a faint "tick tick tick" kinda sound.

don't use 10w40 in the 4.6, it maybe ok for racing but not street driving , esp short trips in cooler weather.

my 4.6 are 94/95's with high miles, one has 150,000 miles, I learned 5w30 is to thin in the heat pulling my boat, but there both getting 5w30 dino penz soon for the winter. from now on they will get 10w30 for summer

actually the noise was there before I used 10W-40 dino, the 10W-40 reduced the noise somewhat, but the engine appeared to be noisy all the time when it got colder.

quote:

Originally posted by mettech:
The 4.6L Ford requires 5W-20 oil only..
spaz.gif

Pre-01 modular V8s use 5W-30, 01-up modular V8s use 5W-20.

However, if 5W-20 was such a great oil that gives enough thermal stability and protection while giving good gas mileage, why aren't turbocharged cars using them? All I see for Euro and Japanese turbocharged 4-banger OHC engines is 5W-40, 0W-40, full synthetic, etc... not 5W-20.

Can you explain...for a 4.6? Is this engine too large? Too small? OHC?

I've used 50 weights in a 1.6 Suzuki engine and my 5.6 V-12...the engine size doesn't matter what oil you use.

It's exclusively the ambient temperature. And yes, your comments re: a 5-30 being too thin for towing is probably correct...but the same holds true for the 4.6...especially if it's in a Mustang.

However, I've found the same thing with Mobil 1. So yes, it is the oil (with the disclaimer that I've never tried the 0-20). My suggestion...try a different brand or synthetic and report back...

Sure you aren't hearing the fuel injectors ticking? Often mistaken as internal engine noise.

The heavy oil for a 4.6 comment has to do with the fact that these are relatively new (introduced in '90 or '91) engines for Ford with an OHC design. The heaviest oil ever specified for a non-SVT vehicle with these motors is 10w30, then 5w30, and now 5w20.

I don't really care if a Turbo can use an xw20. Every engine has its own charecteristics and whats good for one may not be the best for another. Why else do we sell ten gazillion grades of oil... Last I checked not one version of the 4.6 is turbocharged (though there are supercharged versions).

[ September 29, 2003, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: MNgopher ]

metro,

You might want to try the Mobil 1 10W30 with 50mL of #132 per quart. Quite a few people have had piston slap eliminated or at least reduced by this combo.

It's not the oil, it's an engine design "feature." Some call it a design "flaw."

One thing for sure the 10W-30 doesn't do anything by itself. Thats my experiences with 3 GM 3.1/3.4's The delvac 5W-40 improved it somewhat although not dramatically in the 3.4.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Can you explain...for a 4.6? Is this engine too large? Too small? OHC?

I've used 50 weights in a 1.6 Suzuki engine and my 5.6 V-12...the engine size doesn't matter what oil you use.

It's exclusively the ambient temperature. And yes, your comments re: a 5-30 being too thin for towing is probably correct...but the same holds true for the 4.6...especially if it's in a Mustang.

However, I've found the same thing with Mobil 1. So yes, it is the oil (with the disclaimer that I've never tried the 0-20). My suggestion...try a different brand or synthetic and report back...

Dr. T, You are always bad mouthing Mobil 1 which is one of the best oils on the market. We have seen this problem in many engines using different weights and it does not fix the problem. It is NOT M1's fault it is a design problem with the engine. Oil of the proper weight does not cause knocking/ticking in an engine.
In My LS1 which was rebuilt because of knocking problems made noise using every type of oil and nothing made a difference! It is a design problem and not an oil problem! Mobil 1 5w30 will protect this 4.6 just fine!

when the 4.6 came out up here in the north the old timers kept using 10w40 dino, even for short trip driving in winter, the end result was a oil burner later on when the engine got some miles on it, the top of the engine ran to dry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back