M1 5W-30 knocking noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
I'm afraid this forum is starting to head in the direction of may other forums I look at with modulators and older/senior members playing god. The old "It's my way or the highway" mentality is becoming ever more apparent.

That's not what I'm trying to do. I truly was a big Mobil 1 fan, and do not have an axe to grind with them, I just don't see their UOA results being all that spectacular. Sure, there are a lot of great M1 UOAs on here, but on average we see a higher number of M1 reports than anything else, so of course that raises the percentage of chances of really good ones. I'm not telling anyone to avoid this oil, but just to try out other oils and compare it to M1 and then see for yourself if it's doing the job or not. I will admit that I often let my own opinions out too much on here, and should probably keep my mouth shut more often.
frown.gif

pscholte, great post.

quote:

I will admit that I often let my own opinions out too much on here, and should probably keep my mouth shut more often

Patman, we all do, myself especially. Everyone is free to say what they want, but when we mislead people, I think its bad. I do think though you rip Mobil 1 too much. You've made claims that just aren't supported by the UOA's. There are more M1 UOA's then anything else so your going to see a mixed bag. No one is saying its the BEST oil, but it's among them.
cheers.gif

[ September 30, 2003, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
pscholte, great post.

quote:

I will admit that I often let my own opinions out too much on here, and should probably keep my mouth shut more often

Patman, we all do, myself especially. Everyone is free to say what they want, but when we mislead people, I think its bad. I do think though you rip Mobil 1 too much. You've made claims that just aren't supported by the UOA's. There are more M1 UOA's then anything else so your going to see a mixed bag. No one is saying its the BEST oil, but it's among them.
cheers.gif

I don't think I'm misleading my LS1 and LT1 friends when I tell them that M1 5w30 and 10w30 is too thin for them though. These engines have bigger clearances and run much hotter oil temps than most cars, so they need something thicker in order to protect them better, at least if the person drives it hard, which most of my friends do (a lot of them autocross, road race and drag race, as well as use them for daily drivers)

I do rip into Mobil 1 too much, but maybe by me doing so they'll improve it even more!
smile.gif
I will admit they have drastically improved since TriSyn, and the changes recently made to their Supersyn formula are a step in the right direction too.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Pat,

I think you should post a picture of GC and M1 15W50 sitting in harmony and fellowship (whew!) in your oil shrine to show everyone how open and fair you REALLY are!
grin.gif

Hehe, no Mobil 1 in my shrine right now, just GC, Schaeffer Oil, Royal Purple, Castrol GTX and a couple of collector bottles of Quaker State and Pennzoil (the ones shaped like little NASCARs!)
grin.gif

I have not been thrilled with the iron levels shown in my 02 chev 1/2ton 4.3 6. I have got some GC and am going to give it a try soon. This engine has roller lifters so extreme pressure and shear would not seem to be the culprit. Winter time seems a little worse. It will take about 3 months to pile up the @6K miles for an analysis but it will be interesting.

Pscholte, I agree with your original post. Alot of newer folks can't divide the" chaff from the wheat" so to speak. Open forums like this lend themself to that issue but BITOG has been qualitatively better than that so far.

If you try something you read you need to consider the source and efficacy of the technique or product.

**** your problem may not be wear but corrosion, consider firing a test result my way for evaluation to confirm.

Pat,

I think you should post a picture of GC and M1 15W50 sitting in harmony and fellowship (whew!) in your oil shrine to show everyone how open and fair you REALLY are!
grin.gif

[ September 30, 2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back