M1 5w-30 C5 Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this was interesting. My friend just bought a 2003 Vette (another friend with a vette, when will it be my turn?
grin.gif
) and he was telling me that when Chevy tested this car, they drove it on the track at full speed until the gas tank went to empty. They did this several times. This test aparently tests the durability of the car in a certain aspect. I would also think that the oil would have to pass this rigourous test as well.

So far he has 1k miles on it and they are all hard driven miles. I told him when he takes the car to the dealer (which also will put Amsoil in) to take a sample container with him and have them fill it. I'm really curious to see how the results are for this oil bc it's HT/HS is only 3.1, not much above the minimum 2.9. So, it will really show weather M1 is up to the task under hard driving conditions in a performance car. He plans on sampling it at 5k miles, relatively short time frame. Stay tuned.

Top Speed Wide-Open Throttle
To simulate high-speed, autobahn conditions, Corvette is subjected to a wide-open throttle test on our five-mile circle track at the Milford Proving Grounds in Milford, Michigan. Starting with a full tank of gas, the car is driven flat-out at its 171-mph top speed until the fuel tank is empty - approximately 30 minutes. The test validates the car's ability to withstand extreme thermal loads reliably.

Corvette testing information

Les

Buster, if your friend thinks EVERY Corvette is tested like this, he is mistaken. I've visited the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, KY, and I can assure you they don't ship every car they build to Michigan for testing. They do, however, subject every one to a rigorous run through the gears on a stationary dyno. Each car must meet certain performance parameters at this final test or it won't go out the door.

No, not every Vette, just when they were developing it. I wonder if they tested the oil after that?

[ May 03, 2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back