M1 5W-30, 7500 miles, 2002 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OldPainless
Thanks for the replies everyone!

To answer a few questions:
- I've always used regular old paper air filters, changed them or cleaned them out fairly regularly. Not sure why the Si jumped up like it did. I will do some searching to see if there's a problem.
- I added the SC at 150k, it has always ran like a champ, and these motors are known to handle moderate levels of boost without any issues, especially with appropriate fuel mods.
- I don't beat on the truck, but I didn't put the SC on it for looks. It gets romped on occasionally.

Thanks for the tips on the Motorkote, I will forgo that until I find an oil that helps with wear numbers. I plan on jumping up to an xW-40, does it matter much whether it's 0W, 5W, or 15W? I am reading conflicting arguments on that point. I'm not concerned with fuel mileage or any of that, maximum protection is my goal.

I’d recommend a full syn 5W-40 that is CK-4 rated. Delo XSP, Delvac 1 ESP, Rotella T6 are solid options and readily available.

An A3/B4 rated oil is also a solid option. 0W oils will tend to be lighter and less shear stable compared to a 5W oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

I’d recommend a full syn 5W-40 that is CK-4 rated. Delo XSP, Delvac 1 ESP, Rotella T6 are solid options and readily available.

An A3/B4 rated oil is also a solid option. 0W oils will tend to be lighter and less shear stable compared to a 5W oil.

I have been leaning towards Rotella T6 5W-40, there are good reports of it elsewhere as well. One question, since it is dual rated CK-4 and API SN does it have friction modifiers like a PCMO would?

Also, is it worth dumping the M1 I have in there now (~2500 miles) and switching to the Rotella, or wait this OCI out?

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: OldPainless
Thanks for the replies everyone!

To answer a few questions:
- I've always used regular old paper air filters, changed them or cleaned them out fairly regularly. Not sure why the Si jumped up like it did. I will do some searching to see if there's a problem.
- I added the SC at 150k, it has always ran like a champ, and these motors are known to handle moderate levels of boost without any issues, especially with appropriate fuel mods.
- I don't beat on the truck, but I didn't put the SC on it for looks. It gets romped on occasionally.

Thanks for the tips on the Motorkote, I will forgo that until I find an oil that helps with wear numbers. I plan on jumping up to an xW-40, does it matter much whether it's 0W, 5W, or 15W? I am reading conflicting arguments on that point. I'm not concerned with fuel mileage or any of that, maximum protection is my goal.

If you look at the Blackstone report ... Delvac 1 was outstanding ...
I’d start with best price on a 40 and monitor Walmart until the D1 goes on sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back