M1 5W-30 / 15W-50 mixing recommendation???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to change oil in my new Corvette tomorrow for the first time. Eventually I will go with GC or Redline, but I still have 5 quarts of M1 SS 5W-30 in the basement that I need to use up first. Since the LS1 in the C5 holds 6.5 qts. oil, I was going to mix in 1.5 qts. of M1 15W-50 to up the viscosity in the mix a little.

Any thoughts??

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
I am going to change oil in my new Corvette tomorrow for the first time. Eventually I will go with GC or Redline, but I still have 5 quarts of M1 SS 5W-30 in the basement that I need to use up first. Since the LS1 in the C5 holds 6.5 qts. oil, I was going to mix in 1.5 qts. of M1 15W-50 to up the viscosity in the mix a little.

Any thoughts??

I don't have any info for you other than I just dump 7 quarts in as that what it takes it to show full on my dipstick. (I check it about an hour after I have had the oil up to about 210F) Anyway I use 2 quarts 15W50 and 5 Quarts of 10W30. I run my car on roadcourses and see about 280 to 290 temps and nave been doing this for years. You can imagine the number of redline tachs this car has seen. I haven't done an oil analysis yet bet the car, other than the track, burns no oil and just dynoed 316 HP a couple of weeks ago on a stock motor. The car has 41500 miles on it with easy highway and very hard track miles in the mix.

Also ask others what they think but if you are just using the car for road driving you might want to just stick with Mobil 1. There might not be big reason to switch. Maybe others will chime in.
Finally resist all urges to put a K&N air filter in. I find it interesting that people who are anal about oil and filter changes have K&N air filters!

That would work fine. On a side note, my friend raves about how S2k 0w-30 lowered his engine temps. and reports zero burn off in his 2003 C5. Might want to consider this oil for this car.
dunno.gif
This oil doesn't seem to thicken anymore like it did a year ago.

You should just give me that awesome Magnetic Red C5 of yours!
smile.gif

Seriously though, mixing in 15w50 should be no problem at all for the summer months, it's a very popular trick that LS1 owners do.

I hope you're going to do a UOA on it, as well as on the factory fill!

Hey Patman ... good to hear from you ... !!!

What ratio do you recommend? 5 qts. 5W-30 plus 2 qts. 15W-50 ???

I am leaving the Midwest for good in two weeks ... I am transfering to Greensboro, NC. Our house here in Iowa is sold and we got a new place in Greensboro already .... so I'll be away from the board for a while and then will be back when we're settled down there.

I just changed oil on the 02 Suburban Z71 and the 97 Lincoln Mark VIII today. the Burb had non-GC Syntec 0W-30 in it over the winter and the mark VIII Schaeffer's 7000 blend 5W-30 in it.
Both are going to Blackstone + Dyson package Tuesday. The Vette has now approx. 700 miles and I'm gonna throw the M1 out for fresh stuff and a AC Delco UltraGuard UPF filter tomorrow.

both the Burb and the Lincoln got GC in them now, the Mark VIII even with 12 oz. LC, the Burb just straight GC.

buster, I agree ... I am a big fan of Amsoil S2K 0W-30 .... In my opinion much better than ASL or ATM. I tried ASL once and it is no better than M1 5W-30 ... was not impressed.

[ May 30, 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

I just did that a few weeks ago
with my BMW. I mixed 4 litres of
10w30 with 2 litres of the 15w50.
This gives me the A3 HT/HS vis.
recommended for BMW.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Instead of mixing M1 5w-30 and 15w-50, why don't you all run M1 0w-40?

Because he has 5qts of 5w30 he wants to use up first.

I think 5qts 5w30 plus 2qts 15w50 is a good ratio. And if it needs top up oil (which I'm sure you hope it doesn't!), add more 15w50.

using M1 0W-40 as been on my mind also, however as Patman says....I've got to use 5 qts. of M1 5W-30 up that are sitting in my basement.

I think M1 0W-40 is a perfect viscosity. relatively low visc. at 40F and nice upper 30 wt./lower 40wt. viscosity at 200F. I don't care that it shears down a little as long as it doesn't sludge from the sheared VI's like Castrol did in the early 80's. M1 0W-40 is still a heavy 30 wt. when it does so.

The other thing is that Terry is deadset against M1 0W-40 in the LS/LT engines. He always comes back with a big NO-No on that question.

quote:

Originally posted by 2KBMW:
I just did that a few weeks ago
with my BMW. I mixed 4 litres of
10w30 with 2 litres of the 15w50.
This gives me the A3 HT/HS vis.
recommended for BMW.
wink.gif

There's no way to tell that this mix is A3 rated without testing it...unless you can enlighten us?

If your Vette is new, why do the mix? Simply run the full capacity with 5-30 as required in the owner's manual.

I thought the "mix" trick was being recommended only when an LS1 is having consumption issues. Otherwise, why bother mixing...especially if you need to buy additional qts. to make up the difference.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is a good oil, period. Find me another 0w-40 that only shears 1-2cSt? This oil has a higher flash point, indicating some more ester and it has the same well balanced additive package of all the other M1 oils. I've yet to see a good Redline UOA in a LS1. Maybe one at the most.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Mobil 1 0w-40 is a good oil, period. Find me another 0w-40 that only shears 1-2cSt?

On top of that...M1 0w-40 is actually designed to shear down a bit to keep fuel economy high and keep it from overly thickening up during the long drain intervals this lube is designed for.

M1 0w-40 is a great oil...period!

This thread is going a little off, but with respect to 0-40's, I think they all shear down (from what I've seen) and then thicken up as the miles go on. M-1's 0-40 is the same. Not sure if it's 'designed' that way for a reason or if it's simply the nature of the beast due to it being a large-spread lower-visc. multigrade.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Not sure if it's 'designed' that way for a reason or if it's simply the nature of the beast due to it being a large-spread lower-visc. multigrade.

As far as I'm concerned, it is:

BMW LL-01
Daimler Chrysler 229.5
Opel Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
Opel Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025

Geez, it seems like our thick and thin members and hdeo proponents are starting to rally around Mobil 1 0W-40. This is bringing everyone together.
grin.gif

That's what I did Patman .... mixed 2 qts. M1 15W-50 with 4.5 qts. 5W-30 ... the engine oil temp runs usually right around 212 F ... no noticeable difference to the straight 5W-30, except a tinge more oil pressure all around. Boy, the break in oil sure was loaded with metal particles. It shines like metal flake in the direct sunlight. Got three samples off to Blackstone plus Dyson, so we'll see how bad it is.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Instead of mixing M1 5w-30 and 15w-50, why don't you all run M1 0w-40?

Because he has 5qts of 5w30 he wants to use up first.

I think 5qts 5w30 plus 2qts 15w50 is a good ratio. And if it needs top up oil (which I'm sure you hope it doesn't!), add more 15w50.

Dr. T. As far as I'm concerned, the A3
rating is the viscosity at 150 deg.C. If
it's 3.5 or greater at that temp., then
it's A3. Having said that, if Mobil 10w30
rated at 3.17 is mixed with 15w50 rated
at 5.11 (4:2 ratio), the value will be
at 3.81 approx. This increased viscosity
makes it a A3 oil. You can say that this
mixture will be a high end 30 weight oil
just like the BMW 5w30, GC 0w30, AMSOIL
5/10w30 etc.
grin.gif