M1 5w-20 in houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a newbie to this site and love it! you guys are sharp. I've been using Pennzoil 5w-20 syn in my '02 Odyssey (37K miles), thene I read a UOA on this site stating it wan't much better than regular stuff. So I want to switch to M1. but I can't find it in houston, only 5w-30. My question is this. Is the -30 ok for use? Will I notice a difference in milage? I just bought a Wix filter base on readin in this forum. Plan on sending a sample of the 5-20 pen in for analysis.

thanks in advance...great site here.

DeeJay,

I'm from Houston also. I run 10W30 in my Ford modular V8s. (Perhaps occasionally I'll run 5W30, but very seldom.) These engines "recommend" 5W20, but I am much more confident in the 10W30 in our climate over the seemingly-thin 5W20.

If you want to use a high-quality synthetic 5W20, I can get Royal Purple for dirt cheap. In fact, I'm going to get some next week, so send me an email or something if you'd like to get some.

While I have sort of converted from the concept that heavier is better. I'm afraid I would still be a little reluctant to use it in the serious heat of Texas. I would (and this is just me) probably up the viscosity a bit by mixing it with some 30 wt. And I think the 0W-30 will be fine for you in the heat of the summer. Yea it might drop the milage half a mile per gallon or so.

Year round use of M1 5w30 in Houston should work very well. M1 10w30 in the summer months should do just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back