M1 5W-20 7,984 miles 3.8L V6 Dodge Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.

I sure hope someone could give me a little help with my first Blackstone oil report. I bought a FilterMag 600LB pull to help reduce the high iron amount found in the oil. Hope I did the right thing.

Oil_Change.jpg

Originally Posted By: easytim

I sure hope someone could give me a little help with my first Blackstone oil report. I bought a FilterMag 600LB pull to help reduce the high iron amount found in the oil. Hope I did the right thing.

I bought the FilterMag after I seen my oil report, I will post results of the iron amount after using the FilterMag
Oil_Change.jpg

With short trips your should follow the severe schedule. I would change the oil every 5000 miles. My :2cents:

I agree with Billy007. With short trips, you are definitely in the "Severe" category! You might want to try M-1 5W-30 EP which has higher levels of the protectant materials as well. A tad higher in cost, however.

Thanks, I thought with the Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic oil and M1 extended filter I could go longer that that. I'm going to use the FilterMag shown here. (This is just a web page where I put some ideas )

My web page with ideas

I tried using Rotella T Synthetic Oil 5w-40

but engine noise was too much, it ticked like crazy in cold weather. So I went back to 5w-20 and everything is fine now, no noise

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: easytim
Mostly short trips

I change oil when ever its at 8,000 miles

Short trips mean sever driving conditions, in which most manufactures recomend a 3-4K drain interval. I tried the filter magnets with no luck as the magnetic forces are not strong enough to hold onto a metal particle through a 0.015-0.020 thick housing and when the oil pressure is over 40 psi. I will be running rare earth magnets inside the filter in the future, but good luck with them.

Last edited:
Are you worried about the possible excessive wear that is causing the high iron or the iron suspended in the oil?

This is a little confusing. How many miles on the Oil?
It appears this vehicle is getting broken in. If so the iron is not a big issue.

Funny how the Viscosity went up.

Last edited:
I'd follow severe service. The magnet will help trap iron, but the iron is still coming from somewhere. The magnet is trapping it but it won't stop it from happening. Try a shorter OCI and/or another brand oil. JMO

AD

90% of my driving is short trips I'm definitely in the "Severe" category.

I guess trying the strongest magnet for that size filter will be a good test to see if it works and drops the iron level.

I would like to see the results, do you think using a filter is a waste of time?

no it's not a waste of time it just doesn't prevent the iron from happening,do shorter OC.

thats strange why iron is so high and the others are good if the oil was the problem all would be elevated one would think

I think PP 5W-20 is a HARD oil to beat in the 20 weight range. I don't think it's "TOO" long to run that oil.

Mobil1 shouldn't be dead in 5k miles just because of short trips. I never saw where he said how short his trips were, and details on the trips.

No,man. It's not too far for SOME to run the oil,but it's too far for HIM to run the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back