M1 5k on 04 miata MSM 8.3k total

Status
Not open for further replies.
before anyone says anything about iron, look at the miles. this was a cherry MSM (factory Turbo) miata that i bought with 3412 miles on it. i had the oil changed before i left the dealer, and changed at 5k to see how the oil was doing with the turbo. this is my 3rd miata, but my first turbo. it looks like i caught the 0w40 at the bottom of the vis curve before it starts thickening back up. i will keep the current run in 10k.

Code:

OIL M1 0w40

MILES IN USE 5000

MILES 8412

SAMPLE TAKEN

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 20

COPPER 5

LEAD 6

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 96

NICKEL 2

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 5

BORON 102

SILICON 21

SODIUM 5

CALCIUM 2843

MAGNESIUM 15

PHOSPHORUS 844

ZINC 1023

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.3

WATER 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 395

SUS VIS 210ºF 65.4

cSt @ 212ºF 11.73

TBN

i have to agree. this is my third miata (previous were a 94M and an 02LS(now the wife's)), and while styling between the NA and NB can be argued a bit, this one is truly a superior driving experience. i would even say i probably drive slower in this one, as the accel curve is so steep that speed is not needed to work around traffic. basically it's point an shoot.

my only mod on this one was to get rid of the 17" wheels (they were making me shorter, the ride was so rough), and go with 15". my only real problem in changing to it was that the shift from 1st to 2nd at WOT happens so quick, that i was constantly bouncing off the rev limiter for the first month.

just made a deal with one of the guys on miata.net, he is going to go with M1 0w20 in his, and i am going to go with Delvac1 in mine for 10k, to see how the UOAs come out.

Last edited:
I can imagine its a great drive. IMO, Miatas have always had enough power to feel satisfying, but the extra power from the turbo must be great when you really want to stretch its legs.

That report looks good to me that iron isn't bad with a turbo and 5,000 miles, solid to upper 30w sheared some but still protected fine,silicon up some I'd check air filter,nice add pack great oil.

no TBN???

didn't run a TBN because of my previous UOAs on miatas. the miata engine is a kitten with oil, my 10k runs show 2-3 TBN left. i was more concerned with the physical properties and the metals as this engine was extreme low use (an 04 with 3412 miles on it?). after the next run i will do a TBN at 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back