M1 $3/qt clearance at HD

D60

I make it a point to stroll down the auto aisle at my local HD periodically. It's dark, gloomy, and people rarely travel it but to shop nails/nail guns on the opposing side.

It rarely pays off, but sometimes it does. I typically have a threshold of $2/qt for any oil but given that it's M1 and I'll likely need to adjust expectations for JB dollars (hey, don't worry, it's "transitory")....I scored the last 7 qts at $3 ea

HD can be weird with clearances and "districts" so this is a huge YMMV

edit: what I got was SP
20220210_181000.jpg

Last edited:

D60

I'm assuming people know this but don't trust shelf tags at HD. If you have any reason to think it's on clearance make them scan it for a price check.

Of course some districts probably never carried it while others may have been way ahead of schedule so it was clearanced and pennied-out months ago

They also had QSUD 5W-20 at $3.40/qt but this seemed to pale next to M1 for less, and I have so much 5W-20 right now I don't know if I'll ever be able to use it all...

Yeah buddy! I was in HD this morning and saw this awesome deal too. Grabbed the last five quarts of 5w30 and five of the 10w30. There were about 5-6 of the 10w30 quarts that I left. I just really don’t need more oil in my stash. I had just bought up on a bunch of QSUD from menards recently. I had let my stash die out but over the last few months I keep finding deals I can’t pass up. Probably at or over 60 quarts right now. It should take a few years to go through.

surprised to read this clearance has been on since 12/29/2021 and that I missed it (but I never go down the car stuff aisles at Home Depot)...

since I was up early and the store I wanted to go to wasn't open I thought I'd try some Home Depot's in the area and search for some Mobil 1 5W30 which is my preferred oil:

• first store had their spot on clearance for $6.50 no stock
  • second store had the spot on clearance for $3.00 and had one quart that was knocked down and all the way to the back...I used a snow brush to retrieve and buy it :D
  • third store had the spot with 2 quarts left at $3.00
  • fourth store had 11 quarts on clearance for $6.00...helpful employee (which I never get at HD) asked if he could help and I said well these are on clearance for $3.00 at several stores but they have no stock...you have several quarts but asking $6.00 which might explain why you have stock...he first told me as I was leaving that he might go $3.50 a quart and I thanked him but said "as I say, your other stores were clearancing this for $3.00 a quart and thanked him again...he then said how many would you like, I'll do $3.00 per quart...I first said 5 quarts but then said I'll take them all if he'd do that and he replied I could do 6 but that's it...I bought all 6

anyway...thanks D60...I may look a bit farther out when I travel as the GF's Malibu turbo recommends Mobil 1 or AC Delco for the LSPI and I like this oil anyway...

7 quarts were marked SP and 2 were marked SN Plus

Bill

Last edited:

D60

^^^^I troll the aisle for exactly that reason. No one ever goes down it and if they do they're not actually looking for the automotive stuff :D

Over the years I've found many potentially useful things on clearance like RTV, funnels, li-ion jumper packs (questionable quality - I passed) and other small stuff I can't remember. The trick is to catch it before MET pulls it and puts it in an actual clearance end cap, at which point every idiot buys it even if it's 5% off because it's "clearance" so it must be a good deal

^^^^I troll the aisle for exactly that reason. No one ever goes down it and if they do they're not actually looking for the automotive stuff :D

Over the years I've found many potentially useful things on clearance like RTV, funnels, li-ion jumper packs (questionable quality - I passed) and other small stuff I can't remember. The trick is to catch it before MET pulls it and puts it in an actual clearance end cap, at which point every idiot buys it even if it's 5% off because it's "clearance" so it must be a good deal
Over the summer they had the Turtle Wax headlight restoration kit on sale. Picked one up & it made a noticeable improvement. Happiness for $6 😃