M1 15w50,now discontinued, replaced only with m1 EP 15w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Strauss is having a blowout sale for 19.95 for 5 quarts of the old stuff.

The new stuff however, says its good for diesels with CF/CD oil.

Then again, isnt that a spec for gas motors?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 meets the following industry approvals:

* ACEA A3, B3/B4
* API SM
* It also meets the requirements for diesel powered vehicles where an API CF or CD oil is recommended.

I used 15W-50 M-1 in my 5.5 and 3.5hp B & S mowers for around 10 years. Now I use Rotella 5W-40 ... no added consumption -- same sound & easier starting.

I'll never go back.

the old stuff was good for diesels with a CF rating... nothing new. not the best choice for diesels either. 15k is fine so long as you dont approach 2.0% soot loadng.

Proceed very carefully with UOA if using this in a diesel. 5w40 m1 TDT is a much better choice.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
I used 15W-50 M-1 in my 5.5 and 3.5hp B & S mowers for around 10 years. Now I use Rotella 5W-40 ... no added consumption -- same sound & easier starting.

I'll never go back.

I did the same in my 91 BMW E30 318i.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by Pook:
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 meets the following industry approvals:

* ACEA A3, B3/B4
* API SM
* It also meets the requirements for diesel powered vehicles where an API CF or CD oil is recommended.

Here's what the ACEA specs mean:
A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines and/or
for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils ,
and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but
also suitable for applications described under B3.
http://www.acea.be/ASB20/axidownloa...C125708C004EE21F/$File/ACEA2004_rev Sep05.pdf

It's usually found in conjunction with manufacturer-specific standards by VW, MB, or BMW. But it's likely Mobil doesn't expect to sell enough to make it worth-while to submit it for any of those tests.

It's not something I'd use in my TDI. But it looks like some good stuff if you want a 50-weight oil.

With this product, ignore the API specs -- they're irrelevant.

ok, given its decent (not extrodinary) pricing, would you prefer (for a mild mod, but long duration ford 302 mustang)Spring to fall vehicle

1. nice full synthetic 15w50 (a la M1)
2. HDEO diesel 15w40 dino (Rotella, delo, delvac, etc)
3. Psudo synthetic Rotella T

I had used 10w30 m1, but it seemed a little.. watery.

rotella T syn... Its good stuff, gets you a robust oil at a good price, *** flow at startup, and no worries about draining it at the end of the season.

JMH

Personally I don't like the changes to the additive package in any of the SM rated oils. My days of “fortifying” the SL rated Mobil 1 0w-40 with SL rated Mobil 1 15w-50 are numbered.

I will most likely switch that vehicle over to my stash of Mobil 1 5w-40 T&SUV, the new Mobil 1 TDT or Delvac 1 (since they are all the same). Either that or use Redline 5w-40. The other vehicles run on my stash of green GC 0w-30.

As far as the power equipment, I have been using Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 and really like the results, but I do have to check and top off the levels more often vs. say a straight 30w.

Advance Auto has the old stuff 15W50 SL out on the clearance racks. I talked them into giving me their whole remaining stock for $2.23 a bottle.

$2.23 per bottle.......you must have show them your BITOG membership card to get that price for Mobil 1.
grin.gif

Lol, I've tried explaining BITOG to all my neighborhood autoparts store friends and they never get past the part about "You talk about OIL on the internet?"

Nah, it was the fact that by taking ALL their stock, I freed them of shelf space AND space in the back. That run got me 19 bottles of SL 15W50 M1 and 24 bottles of SJ and SL Pennzoil Synth w/Pennzane in 10W30 for right at $100 when tax was thrown in. My car specs SH and SJ so no big deal. Add that to 10 bottles of the Pennzoil Synth that another store gave away for $2.23 AND 4 bottles of Lubegard Red for 75% off and I did pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back