M1 15W50 in daily driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sprintman I am going to run two OCI with Redline. The first OCI is going on right now. I am not going to sample this oil. It will be in until end of april. Then I am going to change the oil and filter and run my second OCI with Redline. THis second OCI will be sampled.

This engine only has 4600 miles on the odometer. One OCI with Redline should be suffcient to act as the cleaning run? The second run should be ok to sample?

Do you think I really need to do a third OCI with Redline and omitt testing the either of the first two Redline OCI???

4600 miles on odo. I would have waited longer with factory fill but should be fine. Look I'm no UOA expert but one thing I've learned here and that is you need to run the same oil for maybe 3 or more UCI's to see how the combo works. Too many do one run and then move on to 'oil of the month' or whatever which is pointless. Terry would confirm this?

Jelly, my experience with M1 15W-50 is a bit different than that of a small engine in a light vehicle. But it has worked very well, far better than the conventional 20W-50's we were using before. In fact, there was no comparison when it came to consumption between changes.

The 0W-40 in the Jeep, as you'll notice, had to be helped significantly by the addition of both LUBE CONTROL and FUEL POWER.

I'm not so sure I want to have to dose this engine every 1k as it accumulates miles so fast.

REDLINE is what Terry and I agreed upon for this interval -- while the car will have injector cleaning and the replacement/repair of parts of the oem defective PCV system [thus giving skewed results] -- it is part of the quest to find the best combination. I may have posted the lowest wear numbers so far for the 4.0L Jeep motor, but that doesn't mean that the search is yet over. This vehicle already had over 40k on it when we began this program.

My point to the questioner was that, while M1 15W-50 was excellent for our use (a 5000-lb 6.3L V8 built in 1971 run regularly in 100F heat with A/C and at extra-legal speeds; and a 6700-lb Suburban pulling an 8000-lb trailer) it might not be for him if the factory didn't specifically recommend it (or if the engine is old enough in design to have had early 1980's spec's available to compare).

Using DYSON ANALYSIS I was able to take another vehicle -- with an oil "outside" the factory recommendations [but only by a little] and "improve" its performance with his help.

Why shoot in the dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back