M1 15W-50 in GM LS1 and similar engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have followed a few threads here that seem to indicate that there is quite a group of people out there using M1 15W-50 and similar higher viscosity synthetic oils successfully in GM LS style engines.
Whata are the experiences so far? Is there a cocern because the relatively high viscosity at 40F?

Users please post!

Alex, there are a few that when on the track, run the 15w-50. From what I've learned on here, 50wt for racing is kind of obsolete, even with high HP cars. Good 30wt and 40wt oils are being used instead. Today's NASCAR engines are qualifying on 0w-5 oils and running the full race on 0w-30 based oils. I think oil temps would be too high and I think too much HP would be reduced. For a hard driven LS1 I think the best choices would be your non-API 0w-30's and 0w-40 M1.

[ March 30, 2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Nascar may be useing 0-30 but I don't think most SCCA racers would be using it. They don't have the budget of nascar racing and expect the engines to last a long time not just 500 miles.
Valvoline VR1 20w-50 I know is being used.

Your probably right. I was thinking of maximum performance. I do think a highly additized 0w-30 such as Synergyn, M1R or S2k can be run in place of some of these older thicker oils.
smile.gif

What do people here think about M1 0W-40 for the LS1 engine??? I like it's viscosity range, but Terry recommends against it.

Another motor oil I like from a viscosity perspective is Redline 5W-40 ... perfect visc range from 80 (40F) to 14.3 (210F). Not as thick as M1 15W-50.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
I have followed a few threads here that seem to indicate that there is quite a group of people out there using M1 15W-50 and similar higher viscosity synthetic oils successfully in GM LS style engines.
Whata are the experiences so far? Is there a cocern because the relatively high viscosity at 40F?

Users please post!

If you want to wait a few months. I'm running 15W-50 with a brew of mine. End viscosity of the fesh oil should end up at no more than 18cSt. I'm testing whether the thicker oil combined with the brew can handle mid range intervals, wear, viscosity, among other data. It should be no more than 4 months before I finish my ARX rinse, run the doped 15W-50 and have a UOA.

Hi,

while I agree with Patman I can tell you that comprehensive testing here in Australia has shown that M1 5w-50 is an extremely good performer in these engines

The new Ford "Boss 290" 5ltr alloy V8 sold here is factory filled with Castrol "R" synthetic 0w-40. Perhaps this says it all!

Last_Z has the right idea I think! Test it and see!!!

Regards
cheers.gif

[ March 31, 2004, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

Thank you guys!! Iwas thinking the same thing. M1 0W-40 would be really good in an LS1 engine. Not too thick when cold and nice viscosity when hot. I am not worried about shear down since I will change my oil before 5000 anyway.

Terry did not recommend the 0W-40 for the LS1, although he did not say why.

I have lots of GC for now and that will be used up first and then we'll see.

Anyone here have experience with M1 0W-40 in LS1 engines??

I'm currently running M1 0W40 in my LS1 (02 z28). I'm going to be sampling within the next two weeks ... so look for my posted results in the next 3-4wks.

I haven't decided what I'll go in with next ... the same M1 0W40, M1 15W50, or GC 0W30. I'm leaning toward M1 15W50 since it's heating up outside and I live in the Houston, TX, area ... not sure I'll run 15W50 through the winter though.

I was trying to decide between the new T & SUV or 0w-40 until I found Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 for $12.xx/Qt. I'm only looking at 5K miles/OCI, so I think the Rotella will do great.

quote:

Originally posted by Jared H:
I'm currently running M1 0W40 in my LS1 (02 z28). I'm going to be sampling within the next two weeks ... so look for my posted results in the next 3-4wks.

I haven't decided what I'll go in with next ... the same M1 0W40, M1 15W50, or GC 0W30. I'm leaning toward M1 15W50 since it's heating up outside and I live in the Houston, TX, area ... not sure I'll run 15W50 through the winter though.

Thanks Jared!! I'll be on the lookout for your UOA here soon ..... could you PM me when you get it posted. I am very interested in your results. Thank you!!!

BTW .... the brand new Amsoil AFL 5W-40 might be a strong contender in these engines ... looking forward to see if anyone tries that stuff

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra with Vortec 5.3 litre V8. The truck motor is based on the LS1 except it has an iron block with aluminum heads, otherwise the same basic design: coil-per-cylinder up integrated ignition, oil pump at the front of the crank, etc.

I tow a 8,200 lb 5th wheel, which is pushing the maximum allowable for my 4.10 geared truck. I have noticed a lot of valvetrain noise running Mobil 1 5W-30 in hot summer towing, somewhat less so running Mobil 1 10W-30.

Oil consumption was 1 quart every 4,600 miles running M1 5W-30, 1 quart every 6,800 running M1 10W-30.

FWIW the Helm shop manual recommends a 10W-30 under towing or heavy use conditions.

I tried Mobil 1 15W-50 in summer of 2001 as I've had good results with this oil in the past. The valvetrain was silent, even towing in +110 F heat. Had zero oil consumption over 7,200 miles.

I have also used Delvac 1 5W-40 in my personal vehicles in the past and will soon be using this in my Vortec.

Jerry

IMHO, instead of going with a thick 15w50 in the LS1 in the summer, the better route to go if you're worried about the oil thinning due to high oil temps, is to put on an oil cooler.

Yeah, 1 qt every 4,600 miles is, IMHO, a bit much. Though there are LS1 and Vortec Truck owners out there who would kill to have my "low" oil consumption.

I've used Delvac 1 in my personal vehicles in the past, with very good results. In my climate Delvac 1 can be used most of the year, but M1 15W-50 should not be used in temps -20 F or colder.

Jerry

quote:

Going to Amsoil S2K 0W-30 in that particular situation reduced oil consumption from 1 qt./1K mls. to a few ounces per 1K mls.

I hear this a lot when switching to S2k. It's amazing the differences people see with different oils/engine combos.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:
I have a 2000 GMC Sierra with Vortec 5.3 litre V8. The truck motor is based on the LS1 except it has an iron block with aluminum heads, otherwise the same basic design: coil-per-cylinder up integrated ignition, oil pump at the front of the crank, etc.

I tow a 8,200 lb 5th wheel, which is pushing the maximum allowable for my 4.10 geared truck. I have noticed a lot of valvetrain noise running Mobil 1 5W-30 in hot summer towing, somewhat less so running Mobil 1 10W-30.

Oil consumption was 1 quart every 4,600 miles running M1 5W-30, 1 quart every 6,800 running M1 10W-30.

FWIW the Helm shop manual recommends a 10W-30 under towing or heavy use conditions.

I tried Mobil 1 15W-50 in summer of 2001 as I've had good results with this oil in the past. The valvetrain was silent, even towing in +110 F heat. Had zero oil consumption over 7,200 miles.

I have also used Delvac 1 5W-40 in my personal vehicles in the past and will soon be using this in my Vortec.

Jerry

Jerry, In your situation I defintily would go with a 5W-40 from Redline or Amsoil. I even think that the 15W-50 in this situation is an appropriate choice.

There has been absolutely no proof anywhere that using 15W-50 has increased wear over the recommended viscosities (5W-30 and 10W-30) and it provides an excellent safety margin.

In your situation, towing in 110F ambient temps, I am pretty sure that while towing your engine oil temp is somwhere between 250 and 300F.

I also had the same experience in regards to oil consumption with M1 5W-30 and 10W-30 being surprisingly high. Going to Amsoil S2K 0W-30 in that particular situation reduced oil consumption from 1 qt./1K mls. to a few ounces per 1K mls.

[ April 01, 2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back