M1 15W-50 good for Heat , as well as in Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
15w50 in the winter?
crazy2.gif

Hold on!

StevieC is back?

..errrr ..Harley ..in case I've missed it ...just give us a temp range. No one here has sophisticated enough smart bombs to zero in on your Hawg's engine acoustic signature. I assure you, you're safe. We don't need the bunker location.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
..errrr ..Harley ..in case I've missed it ...just give us a temp range. No one here has sophisticated enough smart bombs to zero in on your Hawg's engine acoustic signature. I assure you, you're safe. We don't need the bunker location.

Lexington, Kentucky. Right next to Cincinatti, Ohio.

If you are sure you dont want my GPS coordinates, thats fine, as there are too many numbers in it for me. :)

HangerHarley, if you are burning oil, maybe your RING PACKS are dirty, have you thought about trying Pennzoil Platinum or maybe Pennzoil Ultra, these 2 oil's do seem to have some cleaning abilities.

How quickly we are forgotten:

FrankN4
Quote:
I use M1 15W-50 year round in all my vehicles as does my family. The coldest temperature would be one that lives in the DC area. The warmest would be one that lives in the Charlotte, NC area. I live in SE, KY.

I had one morning all last winter than went below 0F, it was -4. The 2.4L Toyota and the 2.2L Cavalier started with no problems at all. I have never had cold start problems with M1 15W-50, BUT, I do not live where it normally goes to -X below zero F.

Right now we have a 1986 Toyota, 1999 Cavalier, 2008 Silverado. Oldest daughter and husband have 2006 or 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt, I can't remember, and a 2007 Chrysler Van. Youngest daughter and husband have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and a 2008 Jeep Patriot.

My Toyota, Cavalier, and Silverado will start at 0F to 8F literally before I can release the key. Daughters and son in laws say same. My Toyota has 301,000 miles, 261,000 on M1 15W-50. Used on the farm and will get some hard use today. My wife's Cavalier has 214,000 miles and got M1 15W-50 the day it came home from the dealer. It is used as primary vehicle, every day. The Silverado just turned 8000 miles last week on trip to Charlotte, NC. It got M1 15W-50 home from dealer.

Going back to 1990, myself, wife, daughters, and now son in laws, have an average of close to 190,000 miles per vehicle before sold or traded. Never an engine problem, no oil use, no oil leaks, no seeping oil around pans and covers, and ALWAYS better than EPA mileage estimates. We used M1 15W-50 in small DOHC, 1.5L I4 all the way up to big GM, 350, V8.

The only time I/we have been in extremely cold weather is visiting relatives in Michigan. A few -10 mornings. Cars always started with no problems, no issues. If I lived in Michigan, or someplace with really cold winters, I would most likely use a XW-40 synthetic.

I think the reason I have such great success with M1 15W-50 is because it is primarily PAO, thin for a 50 with 40C of 131.2 and 100C of 18.1, HTHS of only 4.5, and temperature extremes where we live in VA, KY, and NC.

I do not have brand loyalty and would change to something better in an instant if it could be proven, to me, there was something better FOR MY USE. With something over 2,340,000 miles since 1990, always better than EPA, never an engine problem, oil use, oil leak, oil seep, I am very content with M1 15W-50.

IF, there was a PAO with a 100C cSt of 12.5-13.5, HTHS of at least 3.6, SM ZDDP, high, very high FM pack, low SA, 1 or less, no more than about 2000 calcium, lower spread as 10W/15W-X, I think I could be interested.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1599767

I live in Buffalo, NY and have used M1 15w50 in the summer/fall but once you get into late November and early December I could tell the difference with the thicker oil. Did my truck always start? Yes, but man that lifter/valve clatter is enough to drive you crazy. Switching to M1 0w40 and things quite down much faster.

I still say 5w40 is MUCH more sane than an Xw50 for a Ford Probe.

I would add that 0w30 is saner still... but I won't push that point. If you feel better with a thicker oil 5w40 is plenty thick without being ridiculous. And in Kentucky, it should be OK year round.

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Lexington, Kentucky. Right next to Cincinatti, Ohio.

If you are sure you dont want my GPS coordinates, thats fine, as there are too many numbers in it for me. :)

Thanks, now we know if you even have a winter, for all we knew you were in Florida. Some people's idea of switching weights is when it dips into the low 60's. You appear to hover above and below freezing, biased toward a bit above.

Originally Posted By: EricZoom
I actually use M1 0w20 in my Mazda6 (Duratec variant) in the sweltering Fl heat with great results.

Not really a variant...

Two things:

I'm convinced M1 15W-50 is actually a 10W-50 oil. It's pour-point is -39C, which is the same as many synthetic 10W-30/40's, and is the same as most conventional 5W-30's. It is a thick oil, but it is really good in the cold, I wouldn't hesitate to use down to -25C.

Second, Kentuky, AFAIK, is a fairly mild state, so your winters aren't going to be something that 'challenges' 15W-50 at all. I'd run it year-round w/o worry.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Two things:

I'm convinced M1 15W-50 is actually a 10W-50 oil. It's pour-point is -39C, which is the same as many synthetic 10W-30/40's, and is the same as most conventional 5W-30's. It is a thick oil, but it is really good in the cold, I wouldn't hesitate to use down to -25C.

Second, Kentuky, AFAIK, is a fairly mild state, so your winters aren't going to be something that 'challenges' 15W-50 at all. I'd run it year-round w/o worry.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Two things:

I agree.

Lexington is right next to Cincinatti. We get about 0 degrees the Coldest, maybe a dip to -5 at night in Dead of winter with Ice on everything. Its usually about 10 degrees when it gets cold.

N44's reviews aside, the Cold Lubrication properties of a Synthetic are what im most considering.

The argument that "Its a 50-weight when warmed no matter the first number" dont ring true to me, as grades shear down.

All taken into account, im seriously considering 5W-50 to be on the safe side. And that is the Castrol Syntec I mention, and asked about. Also will lube Coldly ultra-fast.

Research is Key. Doing my part.
thumbsup2.gif

Im sure that even if it shears down to a 40, ill ne fine. The Product Data sheet on Castrol Syntec 5W-50 is here, i dont see Viscosity Index or HT/HS. http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf

I want 50 because car drinks 40. I forgot to mention, or didnt re-mention.

There will be no Lucas.

btw, this Info is proceless. Thanks.

N44 said: (I apply Castrol Syntec 5W-50 to his review, and i believe it passes.)

Pennzoil 15W-50 is out, cant find it.

Quote:
I use M1 15W-50 year round in all my vehicles as does my family. The coldest temperature would be one that lives in the DC area. The warmest would be one that lives in the Charlotte, NC area. I live in SE, KY.

I had one morning all last winter than went below 0F, it was -4. The 2.4L Toyota and the 2.2L Cavalier started with no problems at all. I have never had cold start problems with M1 15W-50, BUT, I do not live where it normally goes to -X below zero F.

Right now we have a 1986 Toyota, 1999 Cavalier, 2008 Silverado. Oldest daughter and husband have 2006 or 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt, I can't remember, and a 2007 Chrysler Van. Youngest daughter and husband have a 2006 Pontiac G6 and a 2008 Jeep Patriot.

My Toyota, Cavalier, and Silverado will start at 0F to 8F literally before I can release the key. Daughters and son in laws say same. My Toyota has 301,000 miles, 261,000 on M1 15W-50. Used on the farm and will get some hard use today. My wife's Cavalier has 214,000 miles and got M1 15W-50 the day it came home from the dealer. It is used as primary vehicle, every day. The Silverado just turned 8000 miles last week on trip to Charlotte, NC. It got M1 15W-50 home from dealer.

Going back to 1990, myself, wife, daughters, and now son in laws, have an average of close to 190,000 miles per vehicle before sold or traded. Never an engine problem, no oil use, no oil leaks, no seeping oil around pans and covers, and ALWAYS better than EPA mileage estimates. We used M1 15W-50 in small DOHC, 1.5L I4 all the way up to big GM, 350, V8.

The only time I/we have been in extremely cold weather is visiting relatives in Michigan. A few -10 mornings. Cars always started with no problems, no issues. If I lived in Michigan, or someplace with really cold winters, I would most likely use a XW-40 synthetic.

I think the reason I have such great success with M1 15W-50 is because it is primarily PAO, thin for a 50 with 40C of 131.2 and 100C of 18.1, HTHS of only 4.5, and temperature extremes where we live in VA, KY, and NC.

I do not have brand loyalty and would change to something better in an instant if it could be proven, to me, there was something better FOR MY USE. With something over 2,340,000 miles since 1990, always better than EPA, never an engine problem, oil use, oil leak, oil seep, I am very content with M1 15W-50.

IF, there was a PAO with a 100C cSt of 12.5-13.5, HTHS of at least 3.6, SM ZDDP, high, very high FM pack, low SA, 1 or less, no more than about 2000 calcium, lower spread as 10W/15W-X, I think I could be interested.

I used M1 15w50 exclusively year round for 9 years. No problems. Now that I know what those numbers stand for I'm using manufacturers specs.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back