M1 15W-50 good for Heat , as well as in Winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it worked for 9 years why bother to switch now.
21.gif
Just for informational purposes what is the average overnight low in your part of NH in winter?

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I don't think I'd use a 15W-anything in the winter. In any car.

Me either, there are better choices.

M1 15W50 will work just fine in the winter. I had VR1 20W50 in my car this past winter,and we even had a week of 19 degrees. Started up and ran just fine. No issues at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
M1 15W50 will work just fine in the winter. I had VR1 20W50 in my car this past winter,and we even had a week of 19 degrees. Started up and ran just fine. No issues at all.

See the thing is, that 5W will lube the upper cylinders better not only on a -5 degree night (deep deep freeze it gets to like 10 and 20 degrees) in Winter, but on a 100 Degree (or hotter!) Summer Scorcher. It was 94 the other day.

I know people speak of Miami traffic and Death Valley intense runs at 120 degrees on 5W-20 and say Heat is not an issue, but this is not one of those cars. Thin Oil is New and Remember, this car drinks Oil.

I also left out the Air Intake and ECM Chip it has. This has affected it too.

People suggest M1 15W-50 in Summer and Castrol Syntec 5W-50 in Winter, but that is changing Brands.

I may as well use the Syntec 5W-50.

I topped it off with MaxLife 10W-40 yesterday. Engine was low on the Dipstick. 3/4 Quart was the top off and it runs a little smoother after that.

btw: Only way id but xW-20 in Anything is if it left the Showroom floor with it. otherwise, nuh-uh.
31.gif

Switching brands back and forth is perfectly fine. I switch brands all the time to keep from getting bored :^P When it`s time to change out the Pennzoil GT,I`ll either use another oci of the Pennzoil GT,VR1,Valvoline wb,or M1 15W50 (all this talk is making me wanna use it again!). I found the M1 15W50 was a perfect winter oil for me. Winters here are very mild,but like I said,I`ve never had any issues using dino 20W50s all winter long either.

But,don`t get me wrong. I`m sure some cars are spec`d for 20 weight oils,mine just isn`t one of them. My fsm actually says *do not* use 20 weights oils. Thinnest oil it recommends is 10W30,and says "for fuel economy only".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

M1 15w50 is cheaper and a better oil IMO.

btw: Only way id but xW-20 in Anything is if it left the Showroom floor with it. otherwise, nuh-uh.
31.gif

Well that is because you are a newbie when it comes to oil and don't know any better (yet). If it calls for a 20wt use it. Mobil 1 0w20 AFE is great oil.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46

M1 15w50 is cheaper and a better oil IMO.

I`ll second that opinion. M1 15W50 is well known to be one of Mobil`s best oils.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
If it worked for 9 years why bother to switch now.
21.gif
Just for informational purposes what is the
average overnight low in your part of NH in winter?

Some nights can get 30 below F. When I said it worked for me I
just mean I had no trouble starting it and heard no funny noises.
Was it protecting the engine from wear as much as the recommended
5w30 does?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back