M1 113 "vs" PF48?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears in Canada one is unable to obtain the M1 oil filters. I continue to use the OEM PF48.

I will be in your wonderful country
34.gif
later this month and could then pick up ac oouple of the corresponding M1 filter i.e
M1 113.

Is there any evidence gleaned from BITOG that this M1 filters any better than the GM PF 48?

Last edited:
They'll probably filter better. Whether or not it makes sense to use them would depend on how long you leave them on. Otherwise, capitalizing on cheaper AC's while in the USA may be more productive.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Otherwise, capitalizing on cheaper AC's while in the USA may be more productive.

Acquiring the M1 113 seems more...exciting
56.gif
as it is unavailable here
08.gif

And how much is an AC Delco PF 48 in the US?

Is it only available through a GM dealership as is the casein Canada?

Last edited:
I'm uncertain about price since I own no late model GM products (or any, at the moment), but I'm sure a trip to any WallMart will have your wallet thanking you compared to the dealer.

Yes, M1 does have that distinctive aspect to it. This should not be discounted. Many of our members here make many of their choices due to the mood enhancement qualities perceived with use or frequency of use of a given product. I often hear them say that they do things for "peace of mind" and so that they can "sleep well at night". (
54.gif
)

All kidding aside, if you want M1 filters ..buy them. I think that they're an excellent filter if you can get your money's worth out of them, which usually means leaving them in service for a bit.

I'd be buying XD-3 synthetics if I manage to get over the border...just because I can't get them here.
grin2.gif

The AC filters are about 4 or 5 dollars at Walmart or Advance Auto. The Mobil 1 filters are about $10.00 to $13.00.

Originally Posted By: steveh
The AC filters are about 4 or 5 dollars at Walmart or Advance Auto.

Again only available at the dealership, the price would be at best about $10 CDN ($9 US) and I have seen it for as much as $12.99 CDN (approx $11 US)
shocked2.gif

If your OCI is 10k or more with syn oil, then M1 worth the extra $ you pay for it. Otherwise, Bosch Premium filter is more than adequate. I'm using Bosch Premium in my '94 LS400 with up to 15k miles, OCI with syn is 1 year and 6 mos with dino but filter is changed on second oil change.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: steveh
The AC filters are about 4 or 5 dollars at Walmart or Advance Auto.

Again only available at the dealership, the price would be at best about $10 CDN ($9 US) and I have seen it for as much as $12.99 CDN (approx $11 US)
shocked2.gif

I'd buy a couple of M1's just for the novelty ..and go large on the AC delco's (or whatever else works - as was suggested).

Heck, engorge and indulge yourself. You don't get to low(er) cost filter land every day.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If your OCI is 10k or more with syn oil, then M1 worth the extra $ you pay for it.

(Ignoring price)

So in a basic garden variety 3k miles OCI an M1 filer would not filter out any more stuff than the OEM filter?

Well, it will. As would a PureOne, imo. What's the objection is that you're dumping the sump in such a short term anyway, that there isn't a lot of accumulated particles to present a problem.

..but it's more complicated than JUST that ..or we could get more complicated.

What's your OLM dictate for OCI's??

If it's saying 3k anyway, then just use a normal cheap(er) filter. If you're preempting the OLM by (something like) 50% or more, then leave a more expensive filter on or go with a cheap(er) filter.

It depends on why you're changing it out at 3k.

Well, it will. As would a PureOne, imo. What's the objection is that you're dumping the sump in such a short term anyway, that there isn't a lot of accumulated particles to present a problem.

If you're preempting the OLM by (something like) 50% or more, then leave a more expensive filter on or go with a cheap(er) filter.

It depends on why you're changing it out at 3k.

Fair enough Gary. Here is the plan:

I have an 09 GM with the 3.6L VVT Direct Injection engine.

I changed out the FF at 500 miles (did a UOA) and replaced with QHorsepower 5W30 and a PF48

Did another drain and fill 1500 miles later (again another UOA) and again replaced with QH and a PF48

The current OCI is the basic 3000 miles. This will finish in mid August and the OLM will likely be 75% or so. A third UOA will be done and so these 3 reports (with filter and oil identical each time) should provide enough legitimate info. re wear trends for this engine as it breaks in.

So for this next interval (if all shows well) I can make better use of the OLM and hence run the fresh oil for (many) more miles than the last 3k interval...say 5k miles or more....well into a Canadian winter.

Do I still stay consistent or can I now step out and for example try an M1 filter and or even a different oil.

That's what I am thinking about these nights during this cool and wet summer
crazy2.gif

What do you think Gary? OR am I over thinking it?
blush.gif

Btw, on a side note, I knew at one time that AMSOIL was *not* recommending that EaO47 be used in any of the GM 3.6L VVT (DI or not). Has AMSOIL come up with a filter solution for this engine?

Last edited:
Okay, you're advancing incrementally to offset wear in and "leftovers". I get it. I did the same thing with a new engine and a reman engine too. Not a bad plan, imo.

Now wouldn't be a bad time to think of finer filtration.

Let me state it this way. I think from this point on you can take advantage of upper tier filters ..M1 certainly being one of them.

Amsoil has not upgraded or replaced that filter. They still recommend the WIX 57060 for your engine. I'd really like to get the fully detailed problem that this engine presented that appears to allow WIX and others to be exempt.

I'd probably start advancing by the OLM at this point. That is, shaving 50% to the goal line at each evolution. Your next OCI/UOA (as you suggested) being 75% ..I'd to got somewhere around 40% and do it again. Then you can settle in on where your anxiety level sets in (20%+/-, whatever). Most don't go the full distance but establish their "peace of mind" buffer zone of so many % points before zero.

Give the aforementioned conditions, I guess you could buy a year or two worth of M1 without too much in terms of waste.

Amsoil has not upgraded or replaced that filter. They still recommend the WIX 57060 for your engine. I'd really like to get the fully detailed problem that this engine presented that appears to allow WIX and others to be exempt.

Definitely. What could be so different re this generally considered high quality Amsoil filter vs the M1 113 or the Wix? Almost makes one consider using *only* the OEM PF48...just to be on the safe side.

Yes, considering that WIX probably made the EaO version. I also can't figure how oil flow gains "character" from any given engine. Then again, they trash canned the filter, so it could have been a poor design from the drawing board. Again, that really doesn't flush if WIX did the manufacturing ..or any filter man that also offers the same application part number.

I'd be buying XD-3 synthetics if I manage to get over the border...just because I can't get them here.
grin2.gif

And just curious Gary...in what vehicles would you use the XD?

I could use either weight (0w-30/0w-40) in either of my jeeps. I suppose my daughter's Taurus could use them too. It would probably take me years to get around to using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back