M1 10w30 specs similar to Penz 5w30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.....It's getting time to think about the "winter" oil for the old beater Maxima. Looking at the specs, M1 10w30 seems to be very close specs to the PENZ 5w30 that I was thinking about using.
M1/PENZ / Pour Point -45/-44c, Viscosity 40C 62/60, @100C 10.0/10.5
M1 does not give a Low Temp cP like Penz does at
So, my question is: If I were to switch to syn M1, why should I use 5w30 when 10w30 is the same or better for cold weather then the 5w30 Penz?

Let me know what you think.....Thanks

Unless you're going to use synthetic year round, I'd go with the Pennzoil 5w30 and just run it the 3 month/3000 change interval during the winter.

The Pennzoil will pump better at -30c because it is a 5w-30. The 10w-30 did not pass the low temp test to be a 5w-30. Above that i fell the only benifit of the Mobil 1i extended drains, maybe to 5000 miles. Not really worth the 4 times the cost to me.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
The Pennzoil will pump better at -30c because it is a 5w-30. The 10w-30 did not pass the low temp test to be a 5w-30. Above that i fell the only benifit of the Mobil 1i extended drains, maybe to 5000 miles. Not really worth the 4 times the cost to me.

Actually, there is an SAE paper out that shows Mobil 1 10w30 flows better at low temps than conventional 5w30s.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:

Actually, there is an SAE paper out that shows Mobil 1 10w30 flows better at low temps than conventional 5w30s.

While it's true that it's pour point might be a lot better than most conventional 5w30s, I still keep coming back to the point that in order for an oil to be a 5w oil, it's got to have a better cold cranking specification than any 10w oil, even a synthetic. So for most normal temps you'll see in the winter (say at 10F for instance) the 5w30 dino would flow quicker. But if it were -40 though, perhaps then the 10w30 Mobil 1 would flow better. But how often does it really get that cold where you live?

quote:

Yep, thats what I was trying to say in the first place. 10w30 M1 preforms better than a 5w30 dino, even in cold temps.

Another thing caught my eye on the product data sheets.
Under FEATURES:

M1 5w30 states:
Active cleaning agents: Prevents deposits and sludge build-up to enable long and clean engine life.

M1 10w30 states:
Active cleaning agents: Prevents and reduces deposits and sludge build-up to extend engine life.

Seems to me that 10w30 has a more robust detergent package and would be better for my engine with 135K+ miles.

Thanks for the replies guys, really like this site and all the friendly and knowledgeable advise you have to offer...

It just boils down to whether you want to use synthetic or dino oil.

The dino 5W will be slightly better down to -25C (-13F but by much. More than a few degrees below that the 10W Mobil 1 probably has an advantage. So cold weather starting is somewhat of a wash.

If you want the best of both worlds-Use of synthetic and better cold weather starting-just go with 5W Mobil 1. Of course there is the cost difference. And if you are not going extended drains then you might just want to stick with the dino as was mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back