M1 10W-30 (non-GF5) High Mileage now SN Plus

For those concerned about LSPI but want a proper 30 weight oil (10W-30 HM is a non-GF5 oil, HTHS 3.5), Mobil 1 10W-30 High Mileage is now SN Plus. I just had some delivered from Walmart for the Fall rebate and was surprised to see SN Plus on the bottle, even though M1’s webpage only lists SN.

The oil has some impressive specs and appears to have very low amounts of VII. It has a respectable NOACK of 7.6 (had to email Mobil to find it out). It is the ONLY non-GF5 synthetic 10W-30 out there (excluding Amsoil and Redline).

Last edited:
Excellent find, a low Noack, high HTHS, 30 grade oil that is ACEA A3/B3 and API SN Plus.

That is the first A3 & SN+ oil that I have seen. I would use it in a heart beat.

Last edited:
I bought a 5-qt jug of this stuff 3 weeks ago for my '65 Nova with a hot 355 ci small block. It seemed like a great off-the-shelf "hot rod" oil from the specs. I have a hyd roller cam, so I am not worried about mega-doses of ZDDP (and I don't really believe the FT cam / ZDDP hype anyway).

Originally Posted By: novadude
I bought a 5-qt jug of this stuff 3 weeks ago for my '65 Nova with a hot 355 ci small block. It seemed like a great off-the-shelf "hot rod" oil from the specs. I have a hyd roller cam, so I am not worried about mega-doses of ZDDP (and I don't really believe the FT cam / ZDDP hype anyway).

Some people have exaggerated it to the point of paranoia but it is a real problem nonetheless and something definetly to consider for owners of flat tappet engines.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted By: novadude

Some people have exaggerated it to the point of paranoia but it is a real problem nonetheless and something definetly to consider for owners of flat tappet engines.

From what I recall reading, Oils in the 1960s/1970s didn't have sky-high ZDDP levels. Check out this test of Pennzoil Z-7 10W-40, Amoco 10W-40, etc.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/October-1-2012.php

I still think the ZDDP hype is overblown for the guys running street cams with moderate spring loads. I suspect the quality of cores has more to do with the failures we started seeing 20 years ago than the oils. API SN still has a flat tappet test sequence built in, no?

But we are getting off topic....

Originally Posted By: OilUzer
What is GF5 oil intended for that is not desirable?

GF-5 oils are intentionally on the thinner side for fuel economy. I believe they have a max HTHS of 3.1 or 3.2.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: OilUzer
What is GF5 oil intended for that is not desirable?

GF-5 oils are intentionally on the thinner side for fuel economy. I believe they have a max HTHS of 3.1 or 3.2.

In past year or two, I've bought M1 EP 5Wx30 (hths 3.0) and EP 10Wx30 (hths 3.1) and PPPP 5Wx30 iirc HTHS is in upper 2.x not listed on their web site.
So they must all be GF5. I only recall a1/b1 or a5/b5 on the back and when I researched a1/b1 is no longer used in the industry but it's listed on the jug ... Have to check see what other designation are back there ...
grin2.gif

Yep, GF-5 & A1/B1 (phased out) & A5/B5 are low HTHS oils, more for fuel conservation.

While A3/B3 & A3/B4 are high HTHS oils, suitable for both Gas and light-duty diesel applications. These are slowly being replaced by ACEA C3 oils ( similar to Dexos2) which are high HTHS and mid-SAPS so more DPF friendly.

To be more specific any Euro "B" oil has light duty diesel ability, but C3 is the most common one I see specified. Bit off topic, sorry.

Anyway, Euro A3 or C3 oils are thicker than GF-5 or A5 oils, and so offer a bit more "protection"' in more stressful applications.

Last edited:
Bump
Of everything I've used in the Santa Fe Turbo, this and Quaker State HM SB have been my favorites. Smoothest, quietest and no gas smell on dipstick.

Last edited:
Back