M1 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard mixed reports of this stuff due to the widespread viscosity ranges it has. Does it really shear down easily or easier than other 40wts or is it actually a good alternative to a 10w40 true synthetic?

Jason

Jason,

If you have an application that actually requires a shear stable, mid range 40wt oil, I'd use Delvac 1, 5w-40 over the M1, 0w-40. Delvac 1 will stay in the 14-16 Cst range for a long, long time. The M1, 0w-40 will definitely shear down by 10%-15%, particularly in a turbocharged gas engine. In less severe applications, it maintains its viscosity pretty well, however for those the M1, 5w-30 or 10w-30 will also work fine. I would certainly not use the 0w-40 in a wet clutch motorcycle application that called for a 10w-40 synthetic ....

TooSlick

I'll let you know in a few weeks. I'm running 0w-40 now and plan on testing it around 8k or so. Can't go wrong with any Mobil 1. They put up the most consistant, good numbers of all the oils IMO.
wink.gif

Slick is right D1 is more shear stable or should be anyway. The 0w-40 thins down to a high 30wt. when it does thin out.

[ April 10, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I've started my M10w40 experiment.. and so far it's not working.
frown.gif
I hoped that the 0w40 would resist usage in my engine better than the 5w or 10w30 M1. So far I burned about .5L in 2000km. I have been driving my car more agressive due to warmer weather
smile.gif
but I was hoping for better results. On the upside the car "feels" the same if not better and my fuel economy stayed constant.

I've had the opposite results with lower oil consumption. Just depends on the engine.....
smile.gif

Quick_lude that is exactly how the 0W40 TS behaved in my turbo. I have done 3 ArX cleans since then so better ring seal now I hope and I may try it again one day. I have D1/M1 blend in there now and engine has used a bit.

quote:

Originally posted by mebanditws6:
I've heard mixed reports of this stuff due to the widespread viscosity ranges it has. Does it really shear down easily or easier than other 40wts or is it actually a good alternative to a 10w40 true synthetic?

Jason

Hey Jason,

Don't worry. Most of the UOA for 0W-40 were
in demanding applications such as turbo-charged
engines.

This oil meets ACEA A3/B3/B4. So, it has
high HT/HS viscosity and stays in grade.

cheers.gif

Jae

Don't the Delvac oils have some ash content that gets on the pistons if an engine uses oil? My Jeep uses about 1 1/2+ quarts every 3k from a bad intake plenum gasket so I'm a little leary of the fleet oils for this exact reason. If this is no true, then I'd go with the Delvac after I finish my 2nd auto-rx treatment.

Jason

Jason,
The HDMOs (heavy duty motor oils for truck diesels) do have a high sulfated ash level compared to PCMOs (passenger car motor oils), but the ones to use carry the API Service Category SL or SJ label...they're fully certified for gasoline engines and are described by the oil maker as "fleet" oils for all vehicles, gasoline and diesel, in an owner's fleet.

Mobil 1 0W-40 is quite a different oil from M1 5W-30 or 10W-30; it's more than just a different viscosity blend of the same basic oil. It's one of the few oils on the North American market with the top European gasoline engine oil rating, ACEA A3-02.

Ken

[ April 12, 2003, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

I will let you know in the middle of May.
I am coming up on my annual oil change using M-1 0-40.
So far 12k miles on the oil- 36k miles total in a 6 cyl Ford Contour. Only added 1/2 qt since last May.

I just ordered analysis kits today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back