M1 0w40 use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran it in my towncars for over million miles when I owned the business. They were specked for 5w20. Running in my Lexus LX470; it's specked for 5w30 in USA, but up to 20w50 elsewhere.

I would be very careful with the new tech small engines though

87 Dodge D 100 with the 318 I brought new and have used 20W50 ever since. Usually Pennzoil.
96 Dodge 1500 with the 318 brought with 67000 miles on it and use Mobil 1 15W50.
Same winter and summer.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Try cooking with it. I find I prefer cooking with Mobil 1 more than Valvoline. Just my preference.

Laugh !!!

When I worked in the mines in outback Australia, one of the cooks was an old retired diesel fitter, called Oil-Can-Harry. He was, without a doubt, the worst cook in the outback. We all put it down to the fact, that as an old diesel fitter, he couldn't break the habit of reaching for a can of Rimula X when he needed cooking oil.

I'm about to use it in my 5W-30 spec'd big block 92 Suburban. I like the long life aspect of M1 0W-40 with a high starting TBN. I only change the oil every 5 years so it should work out well.

Using it in a 2011 Buick Regal 2.0 Turbo spec'd for 5W-30. GM seems to allow 0W-40 in the Opal Insignia (same exact car) in Europe, so I figured it would be OK and provide better protection than an API SN 5W-30.

I wouldn't use a 40 wt in an engine that calls for a 20-30. However in the late 70s I used M1 5-20 in an engine calling for 10-40. The engine started much better in colder temps, sounded quieter, and got better MPG.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Just curious if anybody's running M1 0W-40 in their car that specifies a different grade?

Yes. Specified grade is 5w50.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I wouldn't use a 40 wt in an engine that calls for a 20-30.

That extra 4 or 5 cst KV100, and 1Cp HTHS isn't going to wreak havock.

A 5W20 at starting temperature is many times thicker than a 40 at operating temperature, and it doesn't break stuff.

I usually mix the 0W-40 with various other oils until I get an HTHS of 3.1415. Sounds hard, but it's easy as pi.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
My friend had this 5qt jug of M1 0w40 SN laying in his garage collecting dust for about a year and a half. Finally a few weeks ago I asked him what he was going to do with it. He said i don't need it it was here when I bought the place. Long story short I gave him a $5 bill as I didn't want it for free.

Now I have a 5qt jug of M1 0w40 SN but I don't service any vehicles that need an oil this thick. Should I run it in my Silverado next summer?

I also considered buying 3 QT's of TGMO 0w20 and doing a 50:50 mix with the 0w40 just for kicks. That would give me a super high VI 0w30 with a stout 3.2 HTHS if my calculations are correct.

What do my fellow oil guru's think??

Your Silverado specs 5W-30, with that being said 0W-40 would work. As far as mixing oils, I would personally do it only on a car I don't care that much about.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I usually mix the 0W-40 with various other oils until I get an HTHS of 3.1415. Sounds hard, but it's easy as pi.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I used it in a Supercharged Marauder that was specked for 5W-20(without supercharger) and also used it in my Grand Marquis that's specked for 5W-20..

Sometimes I mix it with 5W-20, I hear it [censored] off people...

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
As others have said, run it as is. It is on the lighter end of the 40 weight spectrum.

I feel offended by you using the term "weight" when referring to oil.

The preferred nomenclature is grade, please
smile.gif

Better tell Ford you don't like them using it either:
https://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-MotorOils.aspx

Originally Posted By: Ford
Motorcraft® SAE 30 Super Duty® Diesel Motor Oil
High-quality motor oil for older-model Ford diesel vehicles
For light- and heavy-duty diesel engine applications
Recommended for use in Ford vehicles equipped with diesel engines prior to 1995 model year
Specially formulated for engines requiring a high-quality single-weight oil and operated with an engine block heater or in outside temperatures no lower than 10°F (-12°C)
Recommended by Ford Motor Company
Available in one-quart bottles

smirk.gif

FWIW Castrol made a Magnatec Professional 5W-40 (A3/B3/B4), which I assume is a bulk oil for workshops, garages etc

It states the 5W-40 grade is suitable for use in the following specifications: 5W30, 5W40, 10W30, 10W40, 15W40 and 20W40

I would use this Magnatec in my GM car which asks for 10W30 or 15W40

I would also use M1 0W40

Last edited:
Summer I'm using 0w-40 in my charger R/T that calls for a 5w-20. Mds works just fine with it. No noticeable change in mileage. Still get 25mpg minimum on the highway.
Tried it out in my Sierra this year. It has a 6.0. Still getting same exceptional mileage as well. Above 20mpg highway and can get 24 with a tailwind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back