M1 0w40 update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you know I switched from using 5w/10w-30 Mobil 1 TriSynthetic to the M1 0w40 SuperSyn. On the previous interval of 10,000km my car burned almost 4L of oil and this was through the winter months when I was not driving the car very hard. I switched to the 0w40 in the spring. I'm at 10,000km now and so far I have burned about 2L. Most of the usage came early in the interval and it seems to have stabilized for the last 3,000km where I haven't used any at all. I did one track day on this oil and of course since it's summer, I VTEC a lot more than in the winter.
smile.gif
I will use the 0w40 for the next 10,000km and monitor the usage again.

The improved usage could be attributed either to the higher 40w and better specs of the 0w40 over 10w30, mainly HTHS and NOACK. But it could also be because of the different formulations, TriSyn vs SuperSyn. Either way personally I'm satisfied with the 0w40 experiment and if my usage is even lower in the next interval, I'll be one happy customer.

The weird thing is my 2nd L of top up on this interval was some old 10w30 TriSyn I had lying around..
pat.gif
Yet I still didn't burn any since then..
dunno.gif

Mobil 1 0w-40 has a lower NOACK than their 10w-30?
confused.gif
I thought 10w-30 was Mobil 1's lowest NOACK oil with the specs at roughly 6%.

Hey, this is slightly off-topic but I thought I'd mention it.

I traded in my '99 Prelude because the engine was guzzling oil at an incredible rate. I had 55,000 miles on it, and I was going through 1 qt. every 500 miles or so (average city driving using Mobil 1.) What's interesting is the problem didn't manifest itself until about 30,000 miles - just before the warranty expired.

Since that time I've read quite a few stories about Prelude owners with the same problems. Needless to say, I was a little peeved at Honda because apparently they knew about the problem (defective piston rings from the factory), but didn't notify owners.

Just thought I'd vent a bit. Whew, that's better. Thanks.

It's not from NOAK or HT/HS, it's because it's a thicker oil. Mobil 1 10w-30 has a NOAK of 6%. I have had no consumption problems with M1 10w-30 so far.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JDG33:
Hey, this is slightly off-topic but I thought I'd mention it.

I traded in my '99 Prelude because the engine was guzzling oil at an incredible rate. I had 55,000 miles on it, and I was going through 1 qt. every 500 miles or so (average city driving using Mobil 1.) What's interesting is the problem didn't manifest itself until about 30,000 miles - just before the warranty expired.

Since that time I've read quite a few stories about Prelude owners with the same problems. Needless to say, I was a little peeved at Honda because apparently they knew about the problem (defective piston rings from the factory), but didn't notify owners.

Just thought I'd vent a bit. Whew, that's better. Thanks.

Yeah, a few Preludes in our club just drink oil.. Honda won't do anything unless you are using 1 to 1.5L per 600miles..
shocked.gif
mad.gif

Whatever the reason is I'm happy, we'll find out if a 30w oil will be used in higher quantities after I switch to it for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back