M1 0w40 turned brown in only 700 miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a pre owned Infiniti m35. The dealer serviced it with a synthetic blend of 5w30. This oil stayed a golden color until around 2k.

I changed the oil with m1 0w40 and within 700 miles, the oil looked as brown as the synthetic blend did at 2500 miles.

Is this to do with the extra detergents in this oil?

I understand oil is suppose to get brown. Im just finding it unusual it the color changed quickly with another oil.

Is this normal?

It can be normal with a dirty engine. If the engine is dirty and the oil is a good cleaner it will turn very quick.

M1 is a great cleaning oil. It is not unexpected to have such a quick change in color. It's a good thing! Get that engine clean! If you're concerned about it just take 1K miles off your typical OCI and use a quality filter.

That was my initial thought. Even in my Audi, the M1 turns brown quick. When I checked this oil at 2k and saw it was still golden, i thought, this is either a clean engine or not a very good oil.

Im using bosch oil filter on it. Surprised how small it was compared to oem Mann from my audi.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
It can be normal with a dirty engine. If the engine is dirty and the oil is a good cleaner it will turn very quick.

Yep!

I had similar(only more of a red color)when I first used the M1 0-40 on my Hyundai where good service intervals with dino oil were used for 8 years and 80k miles. The 2nd oil change had less discoloration.

That's good to know. That tells me M1 0W-40 is a good cleaning oil.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Or it is just certain additives discoloring.

This. Some additives will discolor or turn opaque when exposed to heat, which is why some oils will turn dark very quickly.

No reason to find it unusual.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Or it is just certain additives discoloring.

This. Some additives will discolor or turn opaque when exposed to heat, which is why some oils will turn dark very quickly.

No reason to find it unusual.

Exactly. M1 0W40 turns dark quickly in my Saab 9-3. I've had the valve cover and the timing cover off, and the engine is spotless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back