M1 0w40 or Red Line 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you know I recently bought a Dodge Caliber SRT-4. I swapped out the factory fill at 860 miles for fresh fill of M1 0w40 and I'm starting to think about my next oil change. Dodge calls for M1 0w40 or a synthetic 5w40 if M1 0w40 is not available. I will eventually go with a stage 1 upgrade and a new downpipe to add approx 50 horsepower. I am contemplating changing over to Red Line, but it you guys think Mobil 1 0w40 will protect just as well why spend the extra cash? What do you guys think?

FYI: Redline makes a 0W-40

No clue on your primary concern; I was going to chime in on API certification (which RL is not), but with those mods, there will plenty of other things for the dealer to nag you about...

Last edited:
Redline 5w-40 is well like by some of the BMW crowd. If you are going to the track with it I would recommmend the Redline. If you never see the track and just run your car on the road back and forth to work i would say Mobil 1 would be more than adequate. These oils really are not in the same league.

Im not in any way bashing Mobil 1. I like there oils. RL is primarily POE base while the Mobil 1 is said to be a group IV. RL is more of a high performance type oil. In my experience with it, RL is one of the best oils for high performance cars. Especially if they see track duty.

I run the 10w-40 in my 96 SS Camaro with a T-76GTS turbo(1,000rwhp with meth). It's pretty slow!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Personally I would go with Amsoil or Redline over M10W40. What is the cost of M10W40 there? Here m10W40 is about $9. Reportedly you can buy redline for $8.20/qt delivered from ogracing online and I have seen it for $9.20 delivered from racing parts wholesale (both are by-the-case prices). I would guess Amsoil, Redline, and M1 0W40 are all about the same price?

M1 0w-40 is really all you need. RL/Amsoil are good too but I'm not sure what you really gain. If tracking the car, I'd opt for Redline.

Is there a reason that the jump to a 5W40 means going straight to redline?

Why not a 5W40 HDEO (diesels have turbos too)? I'm thinking Rotella-T, Delvac. Any of these will be tougher than M1 0W40. The M1 seems to do well at extended drains and whatnot, but shears like crazy.

If I was running a performance-oriented car in the far south like you are (ie. not a Yaris, Civic, Camry), I'd probably use a dino 15W40 HDEO year-round. Most synthetic versions of these same oils bring you to a 5W40.

Last edited:
With RL, you may be able to go to a 5 or 10w-30 weight in that engine. It will make a good improvement in spool up and overall performance, too.

I wouldn't run M1 0w-40 in that engine. You likely don't need any 0w oil running that far south. A 5 or 10w oil is fine and will hold up better with the turbo.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
What is the cost of M10W40 there? Here m10W40 is about $9.

Boy are you getting ripped...

It's $6.27 a quart around here.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
I wouldn't run M1 0w-40 in that engine. You likely don't need any 0w oil running that far south. A 5 or 10w oil is fine and will hold up better with the turbo.

It specifically calls for Mobil 1 0w40 or synthetic 5w40 if Mobil 1 0w40 is unavailable. I want an oil that I don't have to worry about the turbo cooking. Red Line is probably overkill in that department. On the other hand I saw a UOA where Red Line had a low TBN rather quickly. BTW, I am open to using any european rated synthetic 5w40.

Doug, I read on a wiki link that XOM makes a Motorsport version for track use. Do you know of such an animal?

Hi Buster,
they probably do make such a version - I really don't know

I have seen the usual M1 0W-40 being poured from conventional containers into cars at the Nurburgring though!

I suspect they have many variation on the theme - I do know that the M1 15W-50 used in some V8Supercars here is/was a mildly reformulated product

Track use oils usually have very low detergent levels, and are therefore not recommended for street use.

Mobil 1 0w40 and 5w40 tdt are about as good as it gets for OTC 40wt motor oil. I would consider Amsoil full synthetic (not XL) for extended drains and Redline for track use. If neither apply to you, stick with Mobil 1 and sleep well.

Originally Posted By: Gilitar

It specifically calls for Mobil 1 0w40 or synthetic 5w40 if Mobil 1 0w40 is unavailable.

And the oil cap on my Volvo R recommends Castrol. That doesn't mean I use it. Recognize cross-marketing arrangements and don't be a lemming.

Originally Posted By: Gilitar
I want an oil that I don't have to worry about the turbo cooking.

Then you should lean towards RL or another POE-heavy base oil. These will have the best thermal performance. Another oil is Motul 300v, but that is more of a track oil than RL in the weights you are looking at and is ugly expensive.

Before getting all in love with M1 0w-40, be aware that it routinely shears down into the lower 30s with higher pressure turbos unless you have a large sump capacity. Terry quietly revealed its test sequence trick a number of years ago here. A very fine oil that won't hurt you, but not without its warts.

Unless you're coming up north, I see no meaningful need for a 0w oil at your ambients, ever.

But if you must have a 0w oil, have you considered GC? While getting long in the tooth, it is just about a 40 and does NOT shear down. Still a robust, terrific oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back