M1 0w40 or EDGE 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon folks. The consumption has dropped a bit on the Camry I have. A co worker had some Mobil 1 0w40 and like 4 quarts of EDGE 0W40 he didnt need. Said he sold his Mercedes and now has a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. Which 0w40 would you use for my car? Nothing to lose as car runs great considering it's just shy of 170k now. Discuss

Both
smile.gif

But I am a huge Castrol 0w40 fan, so Castrol

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Both
smile.gif

For conversation sake; which oil has a better add package? In terms of zinc and phosphorus and boron and moly?

The oils meet the same specs so the performance is, for all intents and purposes the same. Use either with confidence.

You people that can predict the future performance of a motor oil based on a Blackstone VOA/UOA are amazing, especially when comparing two oils with identical or nearly identical approvals and specs. I sure can't do that
wink.gif

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Both
smile.gif

For conversation sake; which oil has a better add package? In terms of zinc and phosphorus and boron and moly?

Edge VOA https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4510746/1

Mobil VOA https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4225470/1

Man, that M1 0w40 one us so blurry even if I was 20 i couldn't make out the additives
frown.gif

A co worker had some Mobil 1 0w40 and like 4 quarts of EDGE 0W40 he didnt need.

Help me understand, is your coworker giving you the oil or are you buying it from them or are they giving you a choice and you are trying to decide what to get? If they don't need it why not just take or buy whatever they have and use it?

I like the edge.. Run that first, then run the Mobil second!

Hyundai generally allows the use of 5w20-5w40 does your coworkers Sante Fe not? He should have ran the 0w40 in the Hyundai.

Anyway, nice score for you!

Application dependent. You wont know until you run both. My '07 M-B E-Class had less consumption with Castrol v. Mobil 1 0w-40. Castrol was a quart per 6k and M1 was quart per 4k.

My 14' Audi A4 is almost same with either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by typ901
Application dependent. You wont know until you run both. My '07 M-B E-Class had less consumption with Castrol v. Mobil 1 0w-40. Castrol was a quart per 6k and M1 was quart per 4k.

Thank You for the positive info
smile.gif

Originally Posted by typ901

Thank You for the positive info
smile.gif

You are welcome.

I couldn't tell any difference in the M-B between the 2 other than the burn rate...that's why I mention it as the only comparison point. I bought what was on sale. Just M1 (historically) was easier for me to source. I was doing jug and quarts so I didnt have a lot of partially full containers in the garage (filling with 8 quarts).

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Run the Edge first,then do a uoa. Run the M1 second and do a uoa.

Then post the comparos :^D

I concur about Edge first. Perhaps; you can run both and give us an anecdotal update with your favorite and/or thoughts. Good luck sir!

You are the Master of Oil Filter Photography. MOFP!

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Both
smile.gif

Edge VOA https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4510746/1

Mobil VOA https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4225470/1

Man, that M1 0w40 one us so blurry even if I was 20 i couldn't make out the additives
frown.gif

*Castrol 0W40 = Titanium but no Moly ... M1 0W40 = Moly but no Titanium

Originally Posted by Onetor

You are the Master of Oil Filter Photography. MOFP!

If I'm waiting at the drs office perusing BITOG and I see a new Stude C&P, i look over my shoulder just to make sure nobody's watching!...‚...‚...‚

[Linked Image]

frown.gif

Not just you, even with my bifocals I can't make it out....‚

I tried googling a UOA for 0w40 and the most recent I can find is like 5yrs old...not sure if that would still even be the same formula in use today. I guess just pick one and run it?...are you planning on doing UOA's?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back