M1 0W40 In Place Of 5W30 ?

My Hyundai 2017 2.4 GDI OM states I can use 5W20 , 5W30 or 10W30 in this Theta II engine ... I have read that M1 0W40 is really at the thicker end of a 30W oil so it appears I can safely run this oil ? The M1 0W40 generally gets good reviews and curious what benefits I would see using this 0W40 in the 2.4L GDI engine ?

One may be inclined to say that it is formulated with too high a percentage VM load for a diluter. Yes it meets some well regarded approvals but it doesn't mean it is not compromised by it's extreme winter rating. I am extremely happy with my "more robust" lubricant choice for my 2 litre diluter.

The oil would be fine. Isn’t this the engine that has a reputation though? Are they going to give you issues if there is a problem?

I think the HTHS is a bit high for an Asian FE motor. But the good thing about it being just motor oil, if you don't like it, you can dump it in a couple thousand and try something else. Not too much skin off the wallet. I find bench racing does not replace experience in situ. You can guess and speculate all day long. Try it.

p.s.: I recommend what I am using because I already know it has worked extremely well in a couple of engines.

Last edited:
I think the HTHS is a bit high for an Asian FE motor. But the good thing about it being just motor oil, if you don't like it, you can dump it in a couple thousand and try something else. Not too much skin off the wallet. I find bench racing dose not replace experience in situ. You can guess and speculate all day long. Try it.

p.s.: I recommend what I am using because I already know it has worked extremely well in a couple of engines.
Quaker State?

My Hyundai 2017 2.4 GDI OM states I can use 5W20 , 5W30 or 10W30 in this Theta II engine ... I have read that M1 0W40 is really at the thicker end of a 30W oil so it appears I can safely run this oil ? The M1 0W40 generally gets good reviews and curious what benefits I would see using this 0W40 in the 2.4L GDI engine ?

this is all your Hyundai needs now .

I think the HTHS is a bit high for an Asian FE motor. But the good thing about it being just motor oil, if you don't like it, you can dump it in a couple thousand and try something else. Not too much skin off the wallet. I find bench racing does not replace experience in situ. You can guess and speculate all day long. Try it.

*For oil diluter you are talking about using QS 10W30 in the Ford EcoSport ? ... On 2nd thought - I'll stay with my rotation of Valvoline Advanced / EP 5W30 , M1 5W30 , Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W30 and my new Georgia "Winter" fill of thinner 30W Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 (No Castrol here for me . The likely increase of VM's used in a M1 0W40 or even QS 5W40 spread may likely result in increased Intake valve deposits in my GDI Theta II (which I don't desire) . I believe I'll go over think oil filters now (lol !)

I am running Mobil1 0W-40 in the 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl , the 2010 Ford Focus and the wife's 2018 Ford F350 with the gas engine and Quaker State 5W- 40 Euro [lspi thingie , if it actually matters] in my 2015 Ford F 150 with the 2,7

Last edited:
Back