M1 0w40 FS vs Shell Helix Ultra 5w40

Hey guys, I noticed Shell Helix Ultra is seldom discussed here. I'm just wondering whats the difference between the 2 besides one being SP and the other SN.

I've personally used both, Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 (SP) version and M1 0w40 FS. I'm going for my next oil change and the place where I usually get my M1 is out of stock. Most probably due to supply chain issues.

Additional info, here's my Oil Pressure reading (off my gauge) (fully warmed with 30mins of driving at least) for both oils.
M1= 10-12psi
SHU= 12-14ps
Idle is very slightly above the 1000rpm mark.

With the M1, I actually noticed my oil goes up to temp faster ever so slightly. And stays at ~85-95c. Usually driven in heavy traffic conditions.

I'll also throw this bit out, my engine is a Proton Campro 1.6L built with slightly higher compression pistons if that helps.

If you guys can throw in any oil recommendations that'll help plenty. As of now, I'm defaulting to SHU or Petronas Syntium as it's pretty common where I'm from.

Thanks guys.

Hey guys, I noticed Shell Helix Ultra is seldom discussed here. I'm just wondering whats the difference between the 2 besides one being SP and the other SN.

I've personally used both, Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 (SP) version and M1 0w40 FS. I'm going for my next oil change and the place where I usually get my M1 is out of stock. Most probably due to supply chain issues.

Additional info, here's my Oil Pressure reading (off my gauge) (fully warmed with 30mins of driving at least) for both oils.
M1= 10-12psi
SHU= 12-14ps

With the M1, I actually noticed my oil goes up to temp faster ever so slightly. And stays at ~85-95c. Usually driven in heavy traffic conditions.

I'll also throw this bit out, my engine is a Proton Campro 1.6L built with slightly higher compression pistons if that helps.

If you guys can throw in any oil recommendations that'll help plenty. As of now, I'm defaulting to SHU or Petronas Syntium as it's pretty common where I'm from.

Thanks guys.
Bcs. this is American based forum. We don't have SHell Helix Ultra. We have Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. Same oil. Pennzoil is owned by Shell.

M1= 10-12psi
SHU= 12-14ps

Thanks guys.

No problem, my recommendation is to use the cheapest oil you can get your hands on and stay away from Mobil 1 0W-40 because I want it all for myself.

Shell Helix Ultra (in Europe, Asia, Oceania) = Pennzoil Platinum Euro (in North America)

Both M1-FS and SHU (PPE) are well respected, full SAPS, Euro rated A3/B4 oils, that meet tough OEMs like Porsche A40 & MB 229.5. They both have slightly elevated ZDDP (Zn ~ 1000 ppm), high TBN (>10) and low Noack (
I would happily use either, buy on price. For me SHU is easier to find at a good price, so that is the one I prefer to use.

Right now I'm running Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 in my Nissan with QR25DE engine.

I’m going to guess Malaysia or somewhere in SE Asia or Oceania.
SE. Asia region.
No problem, my recommendation is to use the cheapest oil you can get your hands on and stay away from Mobil 1 0W-40 because I want it all for myself.
I'm sure you do, M1's great.
Shell Helix Ultra (in Europe, Asia, Oceania) = Pennzoil Platinum Euro (in North America)

Both M1-FS and SHU (PPE) are well respected, full SAPS, Euro rated A3/B4 oils, that meet tough OEMs like Porsche A40 & MB 229.5. They both have slightly elevated ZDDP (Zn ~ 1000 ppm), high TBN (>10) and low Noack (
I would happily use either, buy on price. For me SHU is easier to find at a good price, so that is the one I prefer to use.

Alrighty, yea M1 is amazingly difficult to find and more expensive, SHU is readily available almost everywhere. Interesting to know that they both have the slightly higher ZDDP that I'm looking for. Being my engine is pre-historic and I think it's pretty rare especially in this forum here.

Reactions: 4WD
Are you in Europe?
If you want a very good high ZDDP 5W-40, consider Meguin Super Leichtlauf 5W-40, it's PAO based, fairly thick for a 5W-40 abd has 1200-1300ppm of ZDDP.

In fact it's Liqui Moly Synthoil 5W-40 but in a different bottle.

The Helix Ultra is Shell's flagship product which utilises their own produced GTL oil as the base oil, which typically is of finer quality than group 3 base oil used by most other manufacturers in their "Full Synthetic" oils.

Oh, because Liqui Moly Synthoil is some questionable no name oil without approvals huh?
Nah, it wasn't about the Liqui Moly brand. Don't take me wrong but your assurance it is the same doesn't quite make it for me. Maybe to the OP, I don't know.

Plus as was noted the OP may not even be able to purchase that "stealth" product in his area.

Nah, it wasn't about the Liqui Moly brand. Don't take me wrong but your assurance it is the same doesn't quite make it for me. Maybe to the OP, I don't know.

Plus as was noted the OP may not even be able to purchase that "stealth" product in his area.
It most definitely is the same, the values on the data sheets are identical for Meguin SLL 5W-40 and LM Synthoil 5W-40, and Liqui Moly owns Meguin in fact.

Wether Op can find that oil in his area is another question, but Liqui Moly is available all over the world by now.

Just my 2 cts... since Op seems to be looking for a nice full saps 0W or 5W-40.

M1 0W-40 or SHU 5W-40 are both good stuff.

Are you in Europe?
If you want a very good high ZDDP 5W-40, consider Meguin Super Leichtlauf 5W-40, it's PAO based, fairly thick for a 5W-40 abd has 1200-1300ppm of ZDDP.

In fact it's Liqui Moly Synthoil 5W-40 but in a different bottle.
too steep 60+€ :(

this can be considered as "almost equal" parameter product ?
if yes, shu has good prices

Back