M1 0w40 FS in my Q50 colder/winter months

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have M1 FS in my sump now. Winter coming and temps have now dipped. i only have 1000kms on the oil. Should i switch it out to something like M1 AFE 0w30?

I'd leave it until it is due to be changed, and probably stick with it year round.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Why would you not just run that oil year round?

i will if im confident that its ok... the car is new to me... has been on Nissan Ester all its life... 80000kms. I switched to M1 FS this summer as per many reccomendations from fellow Bitog'rs ... its my first winter with it, just making sure.

I know FS is an excellent oil.. i used it in my previous Mercedes and even in my tuned F150 EcoBoost (switched over to SN+)

NO.

This has been my Subaru's go to winter oil for years. Never had any issues, even starting when - 30 * C (-22*F )

ANY 0w oil has met the standards for cold flow and pumpability at -35*C and -40*C . Otherwise, it can't be labelled 0w.

Yes, an 0w30 will be slightly less thick when cold than an 0w40, but not enough to make much difference in cold starts. Leave it in there ...

Originally Posted by CT8
Do you understand the 0w thing on the oils viscosity rating

yes i do... do you? id be happy to educate you

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I'd leave it until it is due to be changed, and probably stick with it year round.

thanks appreciate the response

Originally Posted by JC1
No you will be fine. Keep it in there for the full OCI.

cheers ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by Thugzy
Originally Posted by CT8
Do you understand the 0w thing on the oils viscosity rating

yes i do... do you? id be happy to educate you

By your question it appears not.

I don't normally use Fully Sophisticated oil, but when I do ...

Last edited:
Unless the higher HTHS viscosity is required, I try to avoid xw-40's in the winter. A 5w-30 would be thinner in all but the most extreme temperatures than a 0w-40 would.

That said, if I had a sump full of M1 0w-40 that had plenty of life left in it, I wouldn't get rid of it.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Unless the higher HTHS viscosity is required, I try to avoid xw-40's in the winter. A 5w-30 would be thinner in all but the most extreme temperatures than a 0w-40 would.

That said, if I had a sump full of M1 0w-40 that had plenty of life left in it, I wouldn't get rid of it.

That also depends which 5W30.
FS s almost W30 oils as KV100 is 12.9.

It is a 0W qualified oil, so cold conditions should be no problem with it.
Why do you think that this Nissan V-6 needs such a high HTHS oil?

Originally Posted by edyvw

I sent a virgin sample of FS 0W-40 to Blackstone for viscosity measurement a couple of months ago. It came back at 11.74, so not almost a 30, it was a 30.

That pretty much sealed my long standing thought that M1 0W-40 sheared to a 30 just pouring it from the bottle.
lol.gif

Ed

Originally Posted by edhackett
Originally Posted by edyvw

I sent a virgin sample of FS 0W-40 to Blackstone for viscosity measurement a couple of months ago. It came back at 11.74, so not almost a 30, it was a 30.

That pretty much sealed my long standing thought that M1 0W-40 sheared to a 30 just pouring it from the bottle.
lol.gif

Ed

11.74? Geeez, that is big discrepancy from what they state.
Though Blackstone last year or years after that warned that due to their methodology VOA is not quite accurate.
Did you do UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back