M1 0W40 5100mi UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Here is report for M1 0W40 after 5,100 miles.
There are several issues here. They thought it is TDI engine although it is gasoline.
Cst is way too high for an oil that was running 5,100. That would be simply unbelievable performance considering cst starts at 13.5.

gbkh.jpg

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Cst is way too high for an oil that was running 5,100. That would be simply unbelievable performance considering cst starts at 13.5.

Is it the new API SN version? If so, it's possible. This new M1 seems to be more shear stable than the older versions. I ran it for 11K miles in the wife's C300, and the viscosity was still at 13.3 cSt at that point.

But then we have reports like the ones from Jeffs2006EvoIX where M1 gets torn to shreds in just 3-4K miles, so who knows...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Is it the new API SN version? If so, it's possible. This new M1 seems to be more shear stable than the older versions. I ran it for 11K miles in the wife's C300, and the viscosity was still at 13.3 cSt at that point.

Yeah, it is SN. Just cannot wrap my mind it is 13.3, since I saw some UOA's where it drops to 11.5.
I think Jeff2006 did his analysis at 3K, and it was 12.5 or something.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Even though he has a very similar engine to yours, his engine seems to beat up the oil pretty badly. Different operating conditions maybe? Different ECU programming?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Even though he has a very similar engine to yours, his engine seems to beat up the oil pretty badly. Different operating conditions maybe? Different ECU programming?

Mine is factory setting. CCTA engine code, which I think is same as in jeff's GTI. 200hp, 207 torque.
Gas in Colorado has more sulfur then in CA. I beat up engine a lot, it sees every day redline. I do drive a lot on back roads and interstates going to ski. So maybe it is 60% backroad/highway, 40% city (very short runs, less then 3 miles).

Hmmm. 5800 miles in my SRT and it was 12.4

Of course the previous run of PU (column to the right of the unit average column) was even thinner at 11.25(!)

I'm more surprised to see the TBN get beat up so bad in 5,100 miles. It starts at 10.8 and has shown to have great retention. Did you change the oil?

Originally Posted By: LotI
I'm more surprised to see the TBN get beat up so bad in 5,100 miles. It starts at 10.8 and has shown to have great retention. Did you change the oil?

Yeah, I change it always at 5K.
You are right, that is not promising considering it is High-SAPS oil.
I put in now Low-SAPS oil and will do UOA at 3K to see how TBN will hold.

A Saab I did analysis on (2.8 V6 Turbo) had 10.79 cST viscosity after 3,800 miles on M1 0w-40.

Both of the numbers might have been slightly extreme readings.

I have also seen this oil (SN) in another vehicle get to 12.3 viscosity after only 200 miles (according to blackstone). On the other hand, we have seen it stay close to VOA viscosity for several thousand miles.

Last edited:

I always thought the TBN cited by [censored] is under represented with regards to Low-SAPS oils.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

I always thought the TBN cited by [censored] is under represented with regards to Low-SAPS oils.

Well we will see. Gas in the U.S. has more sulpfhur then diesel fuel. So while in BMW 335d M1 ESP or Castrol LL-03 might hold good, gasoline engine with direct injection might be different story.
If M1ESP proves stout enough, I will stick to that. Right now, works very smoothly.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I posted a Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W30 UOA in the same engine if you wanna compare.

Yeah I saw it right now. Great TBN number!!!

Those TBN and TAN numbers don't look much different than the ones I got with 5k miles on low SAPS Castrol LL03 in my 2.0T. Makes me think these DI engines are just hard on oil in that regard.

Originally Posted By: dbrowne1
Those TBN and TAN numbers don't look much different than the ones I got with 5k miles on low SAPS Castrol LL03 in my 2.0T. Makes me think these DI engines are just hard on oil in that regard.

I think there could be two reasons:
1. M10W40 does not have stout additives.
2. Remaining GC in the engine (although I always drain engine for a long time) could influence retention of TBN.

You said your LL-03 had same TBN after 5K? That is great result for Low-SAPS oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back