M1 0w40 312hrs Honda GX340 Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
this generator was fired up during the ice storms in arkansas, and ran continuously for 312 hours. it had gone into storage with some gas left in it, and it required both some choke and some seafoam to run (idle circuit clogged). considering the MFG OCI is 50 hours, i am VERY happy with this oil. i figured it would be toast. vis drop is probably from fuel dilution considering it was being run with the choke the whole time. i put in a couple of universal averages in (), which are for 125hrs

Blackstone Labs Test results:

Oil...............M1 0w40
Filter............none
Total Miles.....500 hrs
Miles on oil....312 hrs
Make up oil.....0

Aluminum.......7....(18)
Chromium.......3....(3)
Iron...........37....(41)
Copper..........8....(5)
Lead............2.....(7)
Tin.............0
Moly............77
Nickel..........1
Manganese.....2
Silver............0
Titanium.........0
Potassium.......2
Boron............80
Silicon...........8
Sodium..........9
Calcium.........1876
Magnesium......375
Phosphorus.....651
Zinc..............977
Barium............0

Flashpoint F.....365
Fuel...............missing
Antifreeze........0
Water.............0
Insoluables.......0.3
SUS [email protected]
cST [email protected]
TBN...............3.4

Try cleaning the carb with some Wynn's Xtend88 Plus. This is a very good cleaner, way over Seafoam. You most likely will have to go to a GM parts counter to get it, it isn't sold on the regular market for consumers.

An experienced motorcycle mechanic (now retired) showed me his own personal method for storing his motorcycles. It involved draining the gas to as low as possible, then adding a small amount of automatic transmission fluid, starting up the engine and allowing the gas/ATF mixture to move into the carb. He would keep the engine running until it was out of fuel. He explained the purpose was to ensure that as the gas would eventually evaporate, the ATF would remain behind, preventing the formation of varnish that that one little drop of gas would produce if there by itself. And it only takes that small bit of crud to foul up a jet.

So, thats how I store my equipment (motorcycle, lawnmower, snowblower, roto-tiller, weedwacker) and never have a start-up problem.

Nice numbers for 312hrs and fuel dilution.
thumbsup2.gif

I like the 0w40. Always use and recommend it for anyone with a mildly noisy engine, or if they have any oil consumption issues. Great substitute for any engine requiring a 5w30 or 10w30.

I think you pushed the oil a little too much here. 312hrs? If I drove on the highway for 312hrs, how far would I go?

Great engine/oil combo. Fix the carb issue. Is there an oil filter?

Change it out <300hrs.

no filter, the local honda dealership went through the carb and then drained the fuel out.

i kept falling for the Ozark Electric line of "just a few more hours". it took 13 days to get power back, and by the time that was over, they had to put cops in front of the Co-Op offices.

took a full day of chainsawing to get out, and gas was hard to find for the first 3 days. by the time i was way past the change time, i was going "it can't be 11 days", etc. i actually figured the oil would be shredded.

Honda and Mobil1. when you absolutely positively have got to have power

Run it up to speed with the air filter off and cover the air horn with your hand. It should clean out the clog. It should be no different than a lawnmower.

Then keep the fuel clean.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Run it up to speed with the air filter off and cover the air horn with your hand. It should clean out the clog. It should be no different than a lawnmower.

Then keep the fuel clean.

Gary,
Have you really tried this? I think this a a cool idea. Tell us more.

How much ATF (and what type) did the mechanic add to the generator when burning off the gas for long-term storage?

thanks,

Carl

Originally Posted By: CAK
How much ATF (and what type) did the mechanic add to the generator when burning off the gas for long-term storage?

what makes you think there was ATF added? the GX340 carb has a drain in the bowl for just such an occasion.

no offense to anyone but atf will smoke like ddt spray from back in the day.
won't draining the crab be simpler?
I have never done storage procedures for my wally's ohv, 4th season and starts on second pull, what I do want to put is a fuel filter inline ofxourse

It's for fogging. Draining the carb will do wonders for the carb and preventing gumming up. It will do nothing for the potential for a long lay up with (perhaps) exposure with an open valve.

Whether or not it shows up as an issue is another story.

I would probably choose another agent even though my experience has shown that ATF burns cleanly (yes, there's smoke) and leaves no deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back