M1 0w40, 13,011 miles, 2010 BMW 328i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear from you Patman!

Is this the older 13.5 cSt oil or the new 12.8 cSt FS?

They both shear at 10-12% in 3,000-5,000 miles a DOHC 5.0 Ford with 0 Fuel.

After shearing this oil has thickened 30-40%. I think thats well past useful life.

Originally Posted By: Gene K

After shearing this oil has thickened 30-40%. I think thats well past useful life.

Gene:

If you don't mind me asking, is that "0 fuel" based on what the UOA says for fuel dilution or comparing the flash point of the used lube with the flash point of virgin? The latter is the better method.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Gene:

If you don't mind me asking, is that "0 fuel" based on what the UOA says for fuel dilution or comparing the flash point of the used lube with the flash point of virgin? The latter is the better method.

ASTM D7593

PS Flashpoint is usually 415-435F

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Given the oddball magnesium level AND viscosity, I'd be wondering if maybe a top-off was done with a non-M1 0w40 oil along the way somewhere- maybe a 15w50 or Xw60 even?

I only topped it off with M1 0w40 and the car was never in for any kind of service where they might have topped it up with anything else.

It's the newest version of M1 0w40 that I bought from Walmart in the US, so it's the SN version (not the SM version that we had up here in Canada for quite a while after the SN formula came out in the US)

Considering how much this oil is thickening up I wonder if I might be better off switching this car over to GC 0w30 on it's next interval. It's too bad I don't have any of the good green stuff left from many years ago!
laugh.gif

Gene:

ASTM D7593

So via the UOA method. I ask because I've seen Blackstone list fuel at next to zero with there being a rather obvious drop in flash point (well into the 300's).

BTW, even the older SM version of M1 0w-40 didn't shear in my Expedition. But it isn't a performance engine, so fuel dilution is not a concern and due to its obscene weight, the oil always gets pretty hot.

Originally Posted By: Patman

It's the newest version of M1 0w40 that I bought from Walmart in the US, so it's the SN version (not the SM version that we had up here in Canada for quite a while after the SN formula came out in the US)

Considering how much this oil is thickening up I wonder if I might be better off switching this car over to GC 0w30 on it's next interval. It's too bad I don't have any of the good green stuff left from many years ago!
laugh.gif

Do the bottles say "FS" on them? If so, that's the GTL version, which I don't believe has any PAO in it IIRC.

I definitely think you would be better off with GC 0w40/0w30 if going with these long drain intervals. It seems to hold up better than M1 does past 10k miles.

laugh.gif

Do the bottles say "FS" on them? If so, that's the GTL version, which I don't believe has any PAO in it IIRC.

The oil went into his car in august of last year. I don't think FS was available then.

Originally Posted By: ryanm8
This oil was ran too long. Oxidation is off the charts. Also, aluminum is high. The pistons and cylinders aren't happy.

Aluminum is not bad at all, basically 1ppm per 1000 miles, which is totally acceptable IMO.

Oxidation numbers are not as high as you think, Wearcheck just explained to me that the PAO in synthetics will show higher oxidation numbers on their reports.

I don't believe this oil was run too long at all, and will continue to do 1 year intervals with full confidence.

Your driving style I believe as severe service. Having said that, I would reduce the interval in miles by 50%.

I am sure your oil selection will do well if it has ll01 approvals. These cars are easier on oil when driven at higher speeds for longer distances.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

laugh.gif

The oil went into his car in august of last year. I don't think FS was available then.

I think you are right, but wasn't sure when you guys started seeing the FS bottles
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It was beginning of this year, I believe.

OK, so when I made the thread about it? LOL!!!!
wink.gif

Gene:

ASTM D7593

So via the UOA method. I ask because I've seen Blackstone list fuel at next to zero with there being a rather obvious drop in flash point (well into the 300's).

BTW, even the older SM version of M1 0w-40 didn't shear in my Expedition. But it isn't a performance engine, so fuel dilution is not a concern and due to its obscene weight, the oil always gets pretty hot.

Could just be something to do with the 5.0 DOHC. They dont seem to shear Motorcraft SB 5W20 much but beat the tar out of M1 5W20 (doesnt make sense). They seem to do well on most 10W30 synthetics (Usually Supercharged cars) but shear 5W30, 0w40 and lets not even discuss 5W50.

I bet you the EP 0w-20 would shear less than the 5w-20
wink.gif
Just an educated guess.

I'd imagine it might be something with the DOHC as well. The M5 was DOHC, but since there was so much bloody fuel, it was the primary driver (by a wide margin) in my viscosity loss. But to be fair, the oil is barely in the 40 range in the first place, so it doesn't take much shear to drop it into the heavy 30 side, LOL!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back