M1 0W30 ESP in 3.6 Pentastar?

Yes. The 2015 did indeed allow for 5w30. I think it was even the recommended weight in Europe and other places. But not on the new version. They redesigned the valve train and other components for ESS and for less friction. They went with 0w20 from the outset and it is recommended all over the world.
None of which equates to damage.

Ok, go ahead and run it. If you ever have a valve train issue while under warranty, tell them you were running 5w30 and see what happens.
A warranty claim would be for damage resulting from the oil. Higher viscosity oils (actually a higher HT/HS) protect engines due to a thicker MOFT, not the other way around.

FWIW I have used nothing but 5w30 in our 3.6L Pentastar in the wife's 2014 T&C since we bought it 5 years and 40K miles ago...

Just my $0.02

If it falls within the MS-6395 standard of approved oils my opinion is you’re good to go.

Attachments

• 0AFF56C3-C2BF-4915-A3B3-74D01D58F4D1.jpeg
    0AFF56C3-C2BF-4915-A3B3-74D01D58F4D1.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 31
If it falls within the MS-6395 standard of approved oils my opinion is you’re good to go.
I'd agree with that. But is there an SP 5w30 that meets that standard? Post it up if it does. Mobil 1 EP 5w30 does not. M1 0w30 does not. M1 "Vanilla" 5w30 does not. Doesn't look like Pennzoil 5w30 does, either. FCA/Stellantis doesn't appear to offer it for a 30 weight oil at this time.

A warranty claim would be for damage resulting from the oil. Higher viscosity oils (actually a higher HT/HS) protect engines due to a thicker MOFT, not the other way around.
If that were entirely true, then run 5w50 or even 5w60 and see how it does in the PUG over the long haul.

I'd agree with that. But is there an SP 5w30 that meets that standard? Post it up if it does. Mobil 1 EP 5w30 does not. M1 0w30 does not. M1 "Vanilla" 5w30 does not. Doesn't look like Pennzoil 5w30 does, either. FCA/Stellantis doesn't appear to offer it for a 30 weight oil at this time.
That's because the MS-6395 material specification does not dictate grade. The CAFE award letter to the manufacturer dictates what grade can be listed in the owner's manual.

Given FCA/Stellantis quality control, there's probably a few cigarette butts in the head, necessitating a lower viscosity lubricant.

I run 5W-30 in mine and I have a friend in TX who has ran 0W-40 in his since the first oil change (now over 100K miles on it).

I have 50K on mine. Neither of us have had an issue. OP you will be fine to run it.

Have an extra 5qt jug of M1 ESP 0W30 around from my Renegade which I traded in on a JL Wrangler with the 3.6. Did some research and think it should be okay to use over the factory 0W20. Have a trip in September going from WI to Moab for off roading, so thought a little thicker could be okay for the mountains and off roading. What does BITOG think? Run this since I have it or stick with 0W20?

Thanks!
I have a question for you seeing that you previously owned a renegade. My mother has the same vehicle and it is an excessive random oil burner. We have put it in the dealership multiple times in order for them to do the “burn off test” and it magically passes every time….. with that said i have been thinking about bumping up the oil weight to see if the burning slows or stops. Did you have any issues with the 0-30? Have been running 0-20 in it since new, but the oil burning is ridiculous at times. I have to check it for her weekly because sometime it will burn off a quart in 500 miles, yet other times it takes 3k miles to burn off a quart. Dealership has been worthless with rectifying this situation even though it is a documented and known problem with these motors. Thank you sir.

I have a question for you seeing that you previously owned a renegade. My mother has the same vehicle and it is an excessive random oil burner. We have put it in the dealership multiple times in order for them to do the “burn off test” and it magically passes every time….. with that said i have been thinking about bumping up the oil weight to see if the burning slows or stops. Did you have any issues with the 0-30? Have been running 0-20 in it since new, but the oil burning is ridiculous at times. I have to check it for her weekly because sometime it will burn off a quart in 500 miles, yet other times it takes 3k miles to burn off a quart. Dealership has been worthless with rectifying this situation even though it is a documented and known problem with these motors. Thank you sir.
My Renegade had the 1.3L Turbo, not the 2.4...never had oil burning issues with mine. Have you had the recall yet on hers for the oil burning? Basically it's programmed to pull too much vacuum and it sucks the oil out. The fix works for quite a few people!

My Renegade had the 1.3L Turbo, not the 2.4...never had oil burning issues with mine. Have you had the recall yet on hers for the oil burning? Basically it's programmed to pull too much vacuum and it sucks the oil out. The fix works for quite a few people!
Thank you for the reply. Her Renegade has the 2.4. It is a 17 and only has 35k’ish miles on it. I have talked about the reprogramming with the service writer in the past after finding the info online, and they keep insisting burn off tests, which it miraculously passes every time. I had read online about the vacuum issue on deceleration, and when i enquired about the new program the service writer looked at me like i had 2 heads, and says they can do nothing until the vehicle fails the burn off test. Service director has told me the same thing. Frustrating to say the least. May just see if i can pay out of pocket to have it done. Really dont feel like i should have to pay for it though. We have been documenting the burning with the service dept. ever since the 2nd oil change. (She has all maintnence completed at the dealership) I randomly checked the dip stick around 10k miles when i had gone over to visit, and found the oil level 2.5 qts low. Back then there was no info online, however now days there is quite a bit of information on forums pertaining to the issue.

Back