M1 0w20's vs 5w20's

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 5w20 should generally be more shear stable and contain less VII’s than a 0w20 counterpart within the same oil family (meaning brand/chemistry being equal/similar). I’ve been wondering about the Mobil 1 EP 5w20 vs 0w20. The 0w20 is 70% PAO and has a NOACK of 10%, which is outstanding for a 0w20. The HT/HS of the 0w20 is 2.7 and the VI is 173. The M1 EP 5w20 on the other hand is 30% (maybe more?) PAO per the MSDS, has a HT/HS of 2.75 and a VI of 161.

My car has seen a steady diet of the EP 0w20 and never shows any sign of any oil loss at all over a 8k OCI. Unfortunately I have not done a UOA yet on this car/engine oil to compare results. I’m tempted and curious to see if the 5w20 EP would compare to the 0w20. I’m also wondering if the NOACK is as good or better. It’s hard to say being the base oil blends are so different. The VI of the 0w20 is much higher, but that could be a result of the higher level of PAO.

Mobil also did some extensive testing on the 0w20 running it in two cars up to 210,000 miles and doing a tear down. Both were 15k mile drains. Results were very good, per XOM.

I prefer to use an oil that has a low NOACK, less VII'ers and a lower VI.

Mobil 1 oils tend to have good VI due to the naturally higher VI of the Synesstic™ Alkylated Naphthalenes used in their oils. AN's are categorized within the V group.

As Tooslick would say, I'm picking nits here....

Don't forget all M1 oils contain some esters as well. Also I use 0-20AFE and have little to no oil use in 10K OCIs, and that's with engines with 155 to 182K. In reality, it's results that count.

I have used both Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP 0w20. I actually found I used less oil with the standard Mobil 1, don't know why that is.

I read somewhere that the additive package in the Mobil 1 EP can be abrasive to certain engines...no idea if that's true or not...probably not, but you know how these things go...whoever wrote that on whatever thread it was, sure sounded very convincing at the time (probably had all sorts of charts and scientific words that I didn't bother to check into).

And isn't there a Amsoil test out there that compares all the major oils? If I remember Mobil 1 EP seemed to lag behind the others a bit.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
I have used both Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP 0w20. I actually found I used less oil with the standard Mobil 1, don't know why that is.

I read somewhere that the additive package in the Mobil 1 EP can be abrasive to certain engines...no idea if that's true or not...probably not, but you know how these things go...whoever wrote that on whatever thread it was, sure sounded very convincing at the time (probably had all sorts of charts and scientific words that I didn't bother to check into).

And isn't there a Amsoil test out there that compares all the major oils? If I remember Mobil 1 EP seemed to lag behind the others a bit.

1) Most Amsoil test can't be believed. IMO

2)If someone on some web site said M1 0-20EP is "abrasive to engines" then they most likely were oil salesman looking to discredit M1 with false info.

3) Scientific Words. Even here, quite often the chart guys try to baffle us with,,, well you know. When rarely they don't use actual experience. Doug Hillary is one that does have real experience with real engines. You can trust his comments.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Don't forget all M1 oils contain some esters as well. Also I use 0-20AFE and have little to no oil use in 10K OCIs, and that's with engines with 155 to 182K. In reality, it's results that count.

Total amount of 2% of esterex, just noise.

If someone on some web site said M1 0-20EP is "abrasive to engines" then they most likely were oil salesman looking to discredit M1 with false info.

I could be something as dumb as someone looking at a silly test (such as that one I won't mention), and noticing that on the irrelevant test regular M1 came in at "9" and the EP at "10". Since it didn't perform as well on that "friction test" then it is obviously more abrasive, right?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
If someone on some web site said M1 0-20EP is "abrasive to engines" then they most likely were oil salesman looking to discredit M1 with false info.

I could be something as dumb as someone looking at a silly test (such as that one I won't mention), and noticing that on the irrelevant test regular M1 came in at "9" and the EP at "10". Since it didn't perform as well on that "friction test" then it is obviously more abrasive, right?

Maybe, maybe not. We most likely will not know.

Originally Posted By: Pontual

Total amount of 2% of esterex, just noise.

Can you prove that? Where did you get that info? A couple of years ago I called Mobil tech and they told me it was in the 15% range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back