M1 0w20 SN - 9,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another boring Honda UOA. 50/50 city/highway. Car saw a lot of stop n go in heavy traffic but also high speed highway miles.

2005 Accord - 150,000 miles
2.4L

No makeup oil. It was 2/3qt low though.

Aluminum - 3
Chromium - 0
Iron - 12
Copper - 1
Lead - 1
Tin - 0
Moly - 73
Nickel - 1
Manganese - 1
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 0
Boron - 46
Silicon - 7
Sodium - 8
Calcium - 1269
Magnesium - 507
Phosphorus - 605
Zinc - 658

cSt @ 100C - 7.65
Flash - 370
Insolubles .2

TBN - 2.6

wow thats what you want to see! Thanks for not putting in the makeup oil. I like when you can get a true reading of the used oil. I bet if you topped it off you could go for another 2000 miles at least.

I'm on my 3rd OC with M1 0-20 SM in my Duratechs and have had great results with this oil. I have not done a UOA but do the "One Drop" test and it always looks fine at 10K. Last month we made a trip to Florida on this OC in the Fusion and will be making another trip there for Thanksgiving. At presant I have 8300 miles on the oil but plan to drive there on this oil again. Likely have 11+K on the oil by the time I change it. Thanks for the report.

A nicely balanced report.
thumbsup2.gif

What he also did not mention, that makes this report even more amazing, is that he used a Fram TG oil filter that has almost 20k on it as of this report.

Correct me if I'm wrong, buster.

With the flashpoint being what it is, it's quite possible that his engine is not working as efficiently as it once was-- possibly leaky injectors, more blow-by, weaker oxygen sensors, etc.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
What he also did not mention, that makes this report even more amazing, is that he used a Fram TG oil filter that has almost 20k on it as of this report.

Yes thanks for reminding me. That is correct. I now have a M1 EP filter on. I'd say the Fram TG is a very good filter. It seemed well built too.

With the flashpoint being what it is, it's quite possible that his engine is not working as efficiently as it once was-- possibly leaky injectors, more blow-by, weaker oxygen sensors, etc.

I've always wondered why my UOA's come back with a low flash point. All of them have. The car runs incredibly smooth and is extremely quiet. No vibrations or noise. Fuel economy is still very good.

I think you're probably right though. Would replacing the o2 sensors or leaky injectors be a good idea?

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
I notice the "20 weight is too thin" folks seem to ignore these kinds of UOA success stories.

And this one thinned out even more than most 20 weights too, so it goes to show that thin oil can still protect the engine very well.

You should have gone another 1000 miles though, just to bring it up to an even 10k.
smile.gif

Honda isn't wrong in recommending change oil filter on second oil change. In a clean engine the efficiency of oil filter on second oil change may be better than on the first.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Honda isn't wrong in recommending change oil filter on second oil change. In a clean engine the efficiency of oil filter on second oil change may be better than on the first.

I just like the idea of putting 4 qts of new oil in with 1/4- 1/2 qts of old oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

I just like the idea of putting 4 qts of new oil in with 1/4- 1/2 qts of old oil.

You still leave that much old oil in the engine if you do change the filter.

Originally Posted By: tig1

You still leave that much old oil in the engine if you do change the filter.

I know you can't get all of the oil out. However why leave an extra 1/4 -1/2 Qts in there when you can do something about that just for the small price of a filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back