M1 0w20 SN - 9,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new M1 SN looks like an outstanding oil, I was skeptical at the additive pack at first but it not only looks like a great addy pack it looks like a great, high quality, blend of finished stock.

I'm glad that I exchanged 3 jugs M1 5W20 SM for M1 0W20 SN a couple months ago at Walmart, it was fairly easy exchange even without receipt.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I'm glad that I exchanged 3 jugs M1 5W20 SM for M1 0W20 SN a couple months ago at Walmart, it was fairly easy exchange even without receipt.

Heh, I would have done the same thing. Good move!

Nice report.

Your reduction in consumption to 2/3rds a quart in 9k is impressive, especially considering that with the FP being 370, and the visc. below 8cst, there is definetly some fuel in the oil.

Even with that, I wouldn't touch a thing - just carry on!

Thanks Buster. I'm going to try my first run of 0w-20, Honda SM, for the Winter here in the Northeast and I'll post the UOA in the Spring.

Ya same oil just new formulation.

Very anemic looking oil on paper. Sulfated ash is down to .8%.

I'm curious how the EP holds up vs the AFE oils. Mobil is using this additive system across their entire Mobil 1 line, including the HM oils. 0w40 remains the same.

Buster,

Thinking of maybe trying the new EP 5W-20 SN for a 9-10k run to see how it compares, or just stick with what works?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Buster,

Thinking of maybe trying the new EP 5W-20 SN for a 9-10k run to see how it compares, or just stick with what works?

Id say since you are a BITOG guru you should try the other stuff in your car. It seems like a good oil testing car. As in no problems and great wear numbers and you even do some nice extended drains. Another poster asked what air filter you had in it. I was wondering the same.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Buster,

X2. I think this oil has enough life left to easily make it to 10k. Then you can run the EP 5w20 in the summer for 10k miles as well and see how it compares.

I honestly don't see the big wow factor in not adding any oil, esp if the level gets down a bit towards the bottom of the dipstick. With half a quart of top off mid way through the interval, the results would look even better and then the oil could definitely make it to 10k and still have plenty of TBN to spare.

Great run regardless. Definitely run it longer next time.

Good report. I wouldn't change anything. I wish I could get myself to accept 10k mile OCIs. Now that I'm finally out of warranty, maybe it's time
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
Good report. I wouldn't change anything. I wish I could get myself to accept 10k mile OCIs. Now that I'm finally out of warranty, maybe it's time
grin.gif

For most engines 10K isn't much of a deal. Right now I have 8400 miles on this OC with the Fusion and plan another trip to Florida in 2 weeks on this oil. Should have about 11K when I return.

I put the 0w back in for the winter. I may run EP at some point. I don't like how the low the flash point is in the UOA's I've had done.

Originally Posted By: tig1

For most engines 10K isn't much of a deal. Right now I have 8400 miles on this OC with the Fusion and plan another trip to Florida in 2 weeks on this oil. Should have about 11K when I return.

10k should be good but 11k is one too many. Your engine is gonna blow
27.gif

jk, are you gonna do an analysis?

Originally Posted By: buster
I put the 0w back in for the winter. I may run EP at some point. I don't like how the low the flash point is in the UOA's I've had done.

I put Amsoil OE 0w20 into my Civic EX for the winter here in Florida. Although it might only get down below freezing a few days outta the winter, i still prefer to use the thinnest oil possible.

Should post the Amsoil XL 5w20 UOA in a few days.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: tig1

10k should be good but 11k is one too many. Your engine is gonna blow
27.gif

jk, are you gonna do an analysis?

No UOAs. I do the "One Drop" test and it always looks good. Right now the oil looks good and I have complete confidence doing 11k with this oil. Our own FSSKIER has used M1 0-20 in engines doing well over 10K OCIs and still put 300K on them.

Looks good. Once my stash is depleted I might swing the Jeep over to AFE 0W20 and the E-150 over to AFE 0W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back