M1 0w20 EP vs AFE... What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was just wondering what the difference is between the Mobil 1 EP and AFE 0w20? The price seems similar or identical and I haven't found much information on the differences. From what I've found, the only difference is the 15,000 mile guarantee on EP.

Well you got a sweet ride with the Tacoma. I'd stick to whatever 0w20 provides best wear protection and steer clear of going 15,000. 7500/8000 sounds good. I envy you because those trucks are fantastic. Is it TRD edition?

Well thank you. It is not a TRD edition. It's just a regular cab, 2.7L 4 cylinder, manual transmission 4x4. It's a pretty short wheel base and has worked really well for me on and off road.

Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma
Well thank you. It is not a TRD edition. It's just a regular cab, 2.7L 4 cylinder, manual transmission 4x4. It's a pretty short wheel base and has worked really well for me on and off road.

Exactly the truck I have. I have 2 UOAs with AFE and they were superb. I don't see a need for the EP unless you're driving to Alaska and back (which I plan to do some day).

You won't get better performance from the EP. Maybe similar performance for a bit longer, but you don't want to go that long, especially under warranty.

Right now the AFE 0w20 is $22.66 (versus $27.XX for the EP) for the 5 quart jug at Walmart. The AFE is good for up to 10K (which is as far as I would want to go on any oil) and provides great wear numbers. I'd stick with AFE and not give it a second thought...

Ditto on the nice truck...

It price dependent, a month ago afe and ep were both $25.xx, so ep was a better buy, cause it's better oil, at least for me.
Now with $22.x vs $27.x, if my oci is 10k or less ep is not worth the money, but 15k oci is different story.

Mobil says EP is the better oil but that doesn't mean it is worth paying more for. I'd go with whichever is cheaper. actually I just did and got 2 5qt jugs at WM of the AFE last week. The EP was $5 more.

Ignoring price, EP is thicker and has a more robust basestock from what I can gather looking at Mobil1 website. The add packs are a bit different, too. AFE turns it great results and is a great oil on its own. If they are the same price, EP makes sense.

Last edited:
Great little truck! I would like to have something like that exact truck. 4 cylinder, manual, 4x4.

What's the recommended OCI by Toyota? UOA data shows that on a port injected engine, the AFE should be able to go 10K miles easily.

Well thanks so much for the responses guys. I'm suprised to see so much love for the little regular cab tacoma. I wouldn't trade it for anything else... unless I happen to start a family. That seems to be the day most guys I know trade in the regular or extended cab trucks for something bigger.

Also thanks for the responses about the oil. I'll put up some pictures since the truck has gotten such nice responses.

Ya, the rock sliders have come in handy. I set it down on them twice this weekend. I'm sure my doors are thankful.

Nice truck!! Every once in a while I check out Craigslist looking for a 4x4 5spd taco with the 2.7, just to have. Once day when I more garage space!

Love the IS250 too, I like your taste in cars!

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Nice truck!! Every once in a while I check out Craigslist looking for a 4x4 5spd taco with the 2.7, just to have. Once day when I more garage space!

Love the IS250 too, I like your taste in cars!

Thanks man. They're really great trucks as long as you know you don't need to tow heavy stuff on a regular basis. I'm really happy with my decision. The 2.7 doesn't enjoy going up hills, but it hauls pretty heavy loads that I throw at it and it's only around 3700 lbs. Off roading has been amazing in it.

The truck is covered under Toyota care for 25,000 miles, but the dealer is freaking me out. At the 15k service they put the part number for 6 quarts of a 5w30 Dino on the work order sheet. I called them and some service advisor told me that the techs fill it with 0w20 and just accidentally put the 5w30 part number. I like taking advantage of the free oil changes especially when I hope it's TGMO 0w20, but I can do my oil changes and tire rotations myself. Should I give up on the dealer oil changes? That just seemed kind of sketchy to me.

Also, the Lexus had a recall on the pistons last year. The dealer took apart the engine and put in new pistons and rings and all gaskets and seals for free. It's been running great ever since. I always just followed the 5k Dino oil changes on it. Now I'm on about 8,500 miles of Pennzoil Ultra. Should I do a uoa to see if 10k oci is fine? I really like the extended ocis :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back