M1 0w20 - AFE or EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So supposedly M1's 0w20's are better than their 5w20's and the EP and perhaps the AFE are better than the regular M1 0w20.

Out of AFE and EP, which would you choose if you were going to run it 1 year and between 5000 and 10000 miles?

I run M1 0W-20 AFE because I change it at the manufacturer specified interval (OLM). AFAIK there is no reason to run EP for a 5-10k interval.

One good reason to run EP is it gives you some extra headroom in the winter should you not be able to do an OC when you would like.

Not real important for most, but I maintain a Tundra for someone who works a lot of hours during the week. Dropping in some oil and having some wiggle room is reassuring.

Is there data that shows that Mobil 1's 0W20 is better than their 5W20 whether it be AFE or EP?

The difference is $2 at Walmart. Unless you're really going to extend to 15k, the differences will be marginal and you'll be fine with either. EP does run quieter in the Honda V6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aa1986
Anybody feel confident of running the EP for 2 years / 15k miles max?

I always change out oil before winter because low-temp MRV pumpability degrades significantly in used oil, but in Virginia you shouldn't have any issues.

All the Mobil 1 synthetic products are really fine oils.
For the 5-10k mile interval you want to do, you can use any of the 5w20 or 0w20 Mobil 1 products. I bet your engine will run/function the same with any of them.

AFE is 30-40% PAO and EP is 60-70% PAO, so theoretically EP would be the "better" motor oil. Whether it makes any difference with your planned OCI is open to question, but for an extra $2/jug, why not?

I wonder if I could pair it with a Fram Ultra and aim for a 2 year oci.

Do a UOA somewhere between 12 & 18 months.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
Anybody feel confident of running the EP for 2 years / 15k miles max?

My time is irrelevant. Fuel burned is.
Dnewton has data that conventional is still fine over a multi-year interval so I have no doubt EP can last 2 years.
And fx is doing 16000+ miles on afe,and his used oil analysis show life left in the oil.
So EP for 15000 miles isn't even a question.

What car? What engine? What driving conditions? How many miles put on in a year? Climate?

No need for M1 for less than 10k/one year, and EP is definitely overkill.

I'd use M1 AFE/standard for 10-12k or a year, and EP for 15k. If you drive less than 10k in a year, then just use AFE for the year.

If your car has an OLM, then use the cheapest 0w20 and run it to the OLM suggestions. Yeah, some European OLM cars have special oil requirements, but they don't use 20-wt, either.

Originally Posted By: Danh
AFE is 30-40% PAO and EP is 60-70% PAO, so theoretically EP would be the "better" motor oil. Whether it makes any difference with your planned OCI is open to question, but for an extra $2/jug, why not?

What percentage PAO is regular Mobil 1 5W30? I couldn't find that info.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE

20-30% iirc. It should be on the MSDS as "1-Decene homopolymer...."

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE

20-30% iirc. It should be on the MSDS as "1-Decene homopolymer...."

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back