M1 0W20 / 0W30 Synthetics : Only For Shorter OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A number of posters have stated that the above M1 oils are not designed for a 10K mile OCI (even with a M1 or Fram Ultra 15K mile oil filter) ? ... Anyone care to elaborate as to why the M1 0W20 / 0W30 oils will not hold up to a 10K mile OCI ?

IIRC the general consensus on Bitog is just the opposite. Many members run it to 10K problem free.

When I spoke to Mobil techs ages ago, they (once we got past the vehicle no longer in warranty issue...they advise that you abide by warranty provisions...gofigure) stated that 1 year, 25,000 km was reasonable, provided that both the time and the distance were paid attention to.

1 year, 5,000km, change it. 25,000km, change it regardless.

Australia never got the nuances on AFE, EP, we just got M1.

Exactly. If you do a lot of short trips under 5 miles everyday, then change it after 6k miles. If you do a lot of hwy trips then 10k miles is fine.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
That will also vary widely on your vehicle and driving style.

I ran 0W-20 for 15K and it had a good UOA when I changed it. The second fill is nearing 14K and I plan to go to 16.5K before I change this run. In the past, I believe the Mobil 1 website stated that regular M1 could go to 10K, but that wording seems to have changed to:

"Oil Change Interval: Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long as 15,000 miles on some new cars. We recommend that you follow the oil and filter change frequencies shown in your owner's manual. With the Mobil 1´s high-performance reserves, you can have the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 synthetic oil is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals."

Tig1 has ran M1 for 10K intervals for years without issue. So there are some who would not agree with it not holding up to 10K intervals. However, like others have said and M1 confirms, it can all depend on your driving style.

Mobil1 EP has the same 15,000 mile guarantee in 0w/20 as in other viscosities. And Mobil's 0w/xx oils may have better base oils than their 5w/xx stablemates: 0w/20 EP is 60-70% PAO, which isn't repeated elsewhere in the US Mobil1 lineup.

So I'd say the 0w/xx Mobil1 oils are at least as capable of long drain intervals as other M1 products. Maybe even more so.

Originally Posted By: Danh
0w/20 EP is 60-70% PAO, which isn't repeated elsewhere in the US Mobil1 lineup.

Source?

All their materials read "proprietary blend"

I'm not sure how you can determine a blend % between pao and visom on paper either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
A number of posters have stated that the above M1 oils are not designed for a 10K mile OCI (even with a M1 or Fram Ultra 15K mile oil filter) ? ... Anyone care to elaborate as to why the M1 0W20 / 0W30 oils will not hold up to a 10K mile OCI ?

IMO mileage on the oil is not determined by the oil manufacturer it is determined by the vehicle manufacturer.

IMO sump capacity is probably the key factor to extended drain. Almost all vehicles I have looked up on lube recommendations with a long drain also have a larger capacity sump compared to the same vehicle and engine of an earlier vintage.

Extended OCI to me is going to upper mileage limit permitted in the OEM recommendations without having to revert to using UOAs or bypass filtering etc and the vehicle is not subject to severe driving conditions.

How oil manufacturers can promote extended OCIs beyond the OEM recommendations is unclear as most oil manufacturers usually recommend to the user to follow the OEM recommendations. Kinda like speaking with a forked tongue IMHO.
21.gif
33.gif

Last edited:

I suggest you put those people on ignore because they have no idea what they are talking about. :)

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

I suggest you put those people on ignore because they have no idea what they are talking about. :)

Reread my post.

I would think that AFE 0w20 and 0w30 are at least as durable as M1 5w20 and 5w30 since they (most likely) contain more PAO.
I would say that if you are comfortable doing a 10K OCI on regular Mobil 1 5w20 then you should be equally comfortable doing 10K on AFE 0w20 (same with 5w30 and AFE 0w30).

Ah found it 68037-01-4 60-70%

msds

much more impressive than TGMO

with its 70-80% severely hydrotreated

Last edited:
It is? Why? You can discern and predict the oil's performance by what you read on an MSDS?

Originally Posted By: Rand

msds

msds

repost please link not working
Based on available information, this product is not expected to produce adverse effects on health when used for the intended application and the recommendations provided in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) are followed. MSDS's are available upon request through your sales contract office, or via the Internet. This product should not be used for purposes other than its intended use. If disposing of used product, take care to protect the environment.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Reread my post.

The OP didn't stipulate that the 10k OCI was extended beyond the manufacturers recommend OCI. So I don't disagree with your statement.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
It is? Why? You can discern and predict the oil's performance by what you read on an MSDS?

msds

Uh oh, somebody dissed TGMO, looks like they are in for a full-on BITOG beat-down now
smirk.gif

Seriously though, you can predict one thing from that data: ultra-low temperature performance, which we already know is better with the EP and AFE oils than TGMO.

Lol, that wasn't really my point. I was coming from the perspective of someone who in a previous life wrote MSDS sheets for a corporation.

The rest of the oil's performance is IMHO not necessarily related to the base stock.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Uh oh, somebody dissed TGMO, looks like they are in for a full-on BITOG beat-down now
smirk.gif

Seriously though, you can predict one thing from that data: ultra-low temperature performance, which we already know is better with the EP and AFE oils than TGMO.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Lol, that wasn't really my point. I was coming from the perspective of someone who in a previous life wrote MSDS sheets for a corporation.

The rest of the oil's performance is IMHO not necessarily related to the base stock.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
smirk.gif

This is true, which is why I always focus on what approvals/certifications an oil has
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back