M1 0W-40 - The Invisible Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
After turning the motor off, I usually wait a few minutes before I check the oil, so that I get a fair enough reading. Or that's how it used to be. Ever since I've used M1 0W-40, I really can't read the dipstick unless I wait for at least 20 minutes or so. The oil is so thin that there's not enough "thickness" on the dipstick to read anything. It's also almost impossible to pull the dipstick without dribbling all over the valve cover. Has anybody else noticed the same thing with M1 0W-40?

I looked close, wiggling the dipstick to catch a reflection, believe me. I got very acute eyesight, and I've never had that "problem" with any other oil. I'll try to take a picture this weekend.

I hold a tissue next to the dipstick tube, I then lift the dipstick and let the tip of the dipstick sit on the tissue. No drips.
smile.gif

Yeah, I do that, too. I was just trying to point out how thin that sauce is. I think my car's dipstick may not be textured enough for that oil.
wink.gif

I have no trouble at all seeing it on the dipstick of my 1.8T. And I always check it hot while the gas tank it filling. Weird. But my dipstick is a dark, flat steel. Looks like gun metal. Might be harder to see on a bright steel dipstick.

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
Never had a problem with the 0w40 "falling off" the dipstick..
dunno.gif
It's nice and dark now after 6,000 miles..
smile.gif

If you change the filter only your oil will clean right up. I did that with my 15w40 Royal Purple at 5000 miles, and it's like new again. I hope everyone checks their oil when filling up gas so they can top it off at home, or know when it is necessary to change the filter.

Leo

quote:

Originally posted by pedaltothemetal:
If you change the filter only your oil will clean right up. I did that with my 15w40 Royal Purple at 5000 miles, and it's like new again.

Wow, you mean it turned back to purple and everything?

Maybe I'll try that with the German Syntec and see if it turns back to green.

rolleyes.gif

quote:

quote:

dunno.gif
smile.gif

If you change the filter only your oil will clean right up. I did that with my 15w40 Royal Purple at 5000 miles, and it's like new again. I hope everyone checks their oil when filling up gas so they can top it off at home, or know when it is necessary to change the filter.

Leo

It really does? I find that hard to believe..
dunno.gif
Either way the oil filter can go easily the 6,000 miles.. and I'm changing the oil this weekend anyway, track day coming up.

The oil will be much easier to read when the engine is cold. The oil will not be as thin and more will stay on the dipstick
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
The oil will be much easier to read when the engine is cold. The oil will not be as thin and more will stay on the dipstick
smile.gif

I found when I read my dipstick cold in the wintertime, it would show a lower reading than it would if I checked it 5-20min after a hot shutdown. So I'd end up putting in too much oil if I always followed the cold dipstick checking method.

I don't think it's a problem in the summer though, as I checked my oil this morning and it showed full, even though I only put in 5.1 quarts on my oil change on Tuesday (I normally put in 5 1/4, but this time I just put in 5 quarts plus my 3oz of Auto-rx)

I want to see if my consumption is any less if I run just a little bit less oil than I've run in the past. It's not as if 150ml less oil is going to put that much more stress overall on the oil anyways.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

If you change the filter only your oil will clean right up. I did that with my 15w40 Royal Purple at 5000 miles, and it's like new again.

Wow, you mean it turned back to purple and everything?

Maybe I'll try that with the German Syntec and see if it turns back to green.

rolleyes.gif

Actually I wanted it to look like Redline, so I added a teaspoon of Red Dye #2.

Leo

quote:

quote:

quote:

dunno.gif
smile.gif

Leo

It really does? I find that hard to believe..
dunno.gif
Either way the oil filter can go easily the 6,000 miles.. and I'm changing the oil this weekend anyway, track day coming up.

Have a great time and keep the shiny side up!

Leo

This is just a poor dipstick design, IMO. I have no trouble reading the 0w40 level on my van's dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back