M1 0W-40 SN, 5k OCI, Kia Optima SX 2.0T-GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
^The entire point of a properly used typical Amsoil product is to go longer between intervals and at least break even in money out of pocket, while saving time by not having downtime.

Quote:

But Amsoil is twice as expensive.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Amsoil is a product line sold through multi-level marketing. Therefore, it will pretty much ALWAYS cost a lot more than a comparable product sold at retail. While a retail product may have markup at the source and wholesaler, an MLM product will be further marked up to pay several levels of distributor commissions. Amsoil itself probably makes less profit on its products than Mobil does. Plus, places like Wal Mart can cut margins to the bone with its suppliers.

Better? Even if it is, is it twice as good?

This thread isn't about Amsoil, so I would not normally pop in but some of these comments can't just be ignored. First of all we have zero idea Amsoil EFM 5W-40 would have done in this engine, but I suspect very similarly in such a short OCI. But that's pure speculation. As far as the price, the EFM is $5.40/qt or $28.50 for a 5 liter jug. How much is M1 0W-40 at most all retailers and the Walmart? I'm struggling big time with the 2X pricing you guys came up with. Even if you compare the highest price someone could pay for EFM vs. M1 0W-40 on sale with with some rebate, it's still not 2X, but if we play that game, people could say the reverse, i.e. you could pay MORE for the M1. M1 0W-40 is $9.89 qt at the local CarQuest and Amsoil EFM highest full retail is $7.40/qt (which no one here should be paying!). Plus, Amsoil does not have the high stepped mark up conventional retail sales does. Amsoil is never more than two commissions paid, and these are relatively small compared to a standard sales team.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
[

This thread isn't about Amsoil, so I would not normally pop in but some of these comments can't just be ignored. First of all we have zero idea Amsoil EFM 5W-40 would have done in this engine, but I suspect very similarly in such a short OCI.

scan.jpg

same engine, similar car

Analysis of Amsoil European 5W-40 after 4K miles

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/222-yf-2011-sonata-i45/135244-oil-analysis-reports-only-2.html

sheared to 30 wt, tbn 2.46

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LineArrayNut
Originally Posted By: Pablo
[

This thread isn't about Amsoil, so I would not normally pop in but some of these comments can't just be ignored. First of all we have zero idea Amsoil EFM 5W-40 would have done in this engine, but I suspect very similarly in such a short OCI.

same engine, similar car

Analysis of Amsoil European 5W-40 after 4K miles

Completely Different oil. That's AFL 5W-40. I was talking about EFM 5W-40.

Nice car. I hope the intake and combustion chamber deposits that plague many GDI cars do not haunt you.

I'm a bit rusty on the current GDI thinking for intake deposits, but IIRC, NOACK in addition to ash content is believed to be key to avoiding intake deposits and standing up to fuel dilution.

RLI's oils seem to do the best in GDI engines, but aren't API certified. Maybe give Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 or the rarer than hen's teeth Pennzoil Ultra Euro a try next.

3 dollars more per qt, and -2 tbn is completely different with very similar specs? What specifically, makes it COMPLETELY different?

Your own sites' lookup says the "performance" oil is the AFL.

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:

Engine Oil
Grade 1......SL
Synthetic 5W-40 European Oil (EFMQT)

Performance AMSOIL European Car Formula 100% Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil (AFLQT)

All TEMPS......5W-40, 5W-30 [1]

And I might add, while I'm sure amsoil makes ok oils, the manual requires SM or better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back