M1 0W-40 SN, 5k OCI, Kia Optima SX 2.0T-GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Nice! Korea > Japan in designs.

Thanks & Agreed! Only 1 in Japan close right now IMO is subby.

Originally Posted By: webfors
nice looking car, and solid report. She's a shearing beast, so I would stick with the 0w40.

Thanks, I know I shouldn't drop to 5w-30 back on my UOAs, but I "gotta" try it in the winter for the sake of trying it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
Yep, your Optima looks fantastic. I don't want to offend anyone, but this car is so much better than probably every competitor in the mid-size sedan class. It's an extremely nice car, and I imagine with the Turbo it is fantastic.

I rent cars regularly. I'm normally disappointed by typical rentals since I drive Mercedes fairly regularly.

The Optima never disappoints me. It's a really good car, and yours is the best looking one I have ever seen!

I just hope as Kia does better and better they won't start to cheapen the cars up as I think some of the companies who once dominated this segment have done in the past decade.

I would love to have an Optima. Great car.

The UOA looks solid for a turbo engine. 0w40 is a great oil, I use it in my Mercedes. I'm too worried about warranties to use it anything else though.
frown.gif

Thanks and completely agree, having driven many classes of rental cars for work, i ALWAYS look forward to getting back to my Optima. Its not perfect, but for the price I dont think you can do better. I will say congrats to the new Altima and (to a lesser extent) the new Accord for trying to get up to the Sonata/Optima level they set for the segment. Both of them have CVTs tho... (eww) and IMO still fall a little short despite being brand spanking new.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Yes very sharp looking car. Personally my favorite in the class based on looks, haven't got to drive one. Kia will be high on my list when I go looking again.

Thanks and enjoy your testing. Just remember to not tell too many people, its fun having such a beautiful mid-size thats not on every corner (including all those sonatas...)
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: poiuy223
What filter did you use?

Sorry, oil filter has always been the Hyundai & Kia OEM filter, pn 26300-35503. Bought a ~10 pack awhile ago for like ~$5.50 a filter. Air filter since 5k miles has been the K&N drop-in panel in the stock airbox, K&N pn 33-2448.

Oh and on the gas mileage, that's with 87 octane as its spec'd run. I haven't bought into the 91/93 octane craze lots of Sonata/Optima 2.0T owners . People can't get past 17.4 psi boost running on 87, Thats the beauty of GDI. ive had no problems. Monitor near 100% of driving time with Torque App, no issues with timing or lack of power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedHotOptima

Gotta say I'm agreeing with you guys. I was kind of hoping that Kia (I hate the name but am taking more and more liking to the car) actions would spur Honda to get off their rear and actually produce something interesting in the compact/mid-sized performance class but I'm thinking they are going the way of Toyota. If the Koreans keep improving at this rate I think the titans in Japan may end up looking like the fossils from Detroit. Good example is the Civic Si in that they gave it a completely neutered engine (among other offenses) for 2011. About the only thing you can ding the Koreans for at this point is handling. If they could clean that up and get it in line with the best in the categories there are many of us who couldn't find a way around buying one!

I will say congrats to the new Altima and (to a lesser extent) the new Accord for trying to get up to the Sonata/Optima level they set for the segment. Both of them have CVTs tho... (eww) and IMO still fall a little short despite being brand spanking new.

Yeah, I don't think they have caught up at all.
smile.gif

I also agree on the CVTs, but I guess we will be seeing more of them.

LOL, fuel diluting DI turbos! We traded recommendations in an earlier thread where I was complaining about PP 5W-30 in my Speed3. Interesting that you want to try it now. I see that your 0W-40 dropped out of range to 62-- a high 30 wt. After 3350 miles, PP in my car was at 50, 12% below the bottom of the 30 spec! If you like 0W-40 in your car, I guarantee you are not going to like an oil at 50 after 3350 miles.

I've decided to move this engine to M1 but I do not want to go to straight 0W-40 for year round (winter) starts so I'm going to mix a couple of quarts with 0W-30 or 5W-30 to create an oil that will stay in the 30 wt spec range after 5,000 miles. Also, 0W-40 is much higher ash than the 30 wts and ash reportedly is the primary contributor to DI deposits so I'm leery of going straight 0W-40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
LOL, fuel diluting DI turbos! We traded recommendations in an earlier thread where I was complaining about PP 5W-30 in my Speed3. Interesting that you want to try it now. I see that your 0W-40 dropped out of range to 62-- a high 30 wt. After 3350 miles, PP in my car was at 50, 12% below the bottom of the 30 spec! If you like 0W-40 in your car, I guarantee you are not going to like an oil at 50 after 3350 miles.

I've decided to move this engine to M1 but I do not want to go to straight 0W-40 for year round (winter) starts so I'm going to mix a couple of quarts with 0W-30 or 5W-30 to create an oil that will stay in the 30 wt spec range after 5,000 miles. Also, 0W-40 is much higher ash than the 30 wts and ash reportedly is the primary contributor to DI deposits so I'm leery of going straight 0W-40.

Good idea I may try a blend. I dunno, i want to give a lighter oil a shot for winter but i've never blended.... You're going 50/50 5w-30 and 0w-40 ?

how bad is the 0w-40 ash compared to 5w-30? 1.3% to 0.9% ? I do run a catch can BTW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OrdnanceMarine

Gotta say I'm agreeing with you guys. I was kind of hoping that Kia (I hate the name but am taking more and more liking to the car) actions would spur Honda to get off their rear and actually produce something interesting in the compact/mid-sized performance class but I'm thinking they are going the way of Toyota. If the Koreans keep improving at this rate I think the titans in Japan may end up looking like the fossils from Detroit. Good example is the Civic Si in that they gave it a completely neutered engine (among other offenses) for 2011. About the only thing you can ding the Koreans for at this point is handling. If they could clean that up and get it in line with the best in the categories there are many of us who couldn't find a way around buying one!

Agreed on handling. BUT there are already a bunch of aftermarket options. There's at least 2 different full adjustment 32-way dampening coilovers sets for $900. 4-5 different lowering springs out (i'm on eibach's pro-kit for the optima) in the $200 range. 2 different front tower bars and a rear sway bar that increases stiffness from the stock rear sway by 1.9x. Can get a front tower bar and rear sway bar for about $500 combined. So $1400 you have an excellent handling car with fully height and dampening adjustments...or heck even only the $200 springs make a large differences.

Last edited:
My engine has a six qt sump. I haven't decided for sure yet but I'm thinking maybe only two qts of 0W-40. I'll have to sit down with the calculator and crunch the numbers.

Ash is:

5W-30 = 0.8
0W-30 = 0.9
0W-40 = 1.3

That doesn't sound like a lot but 1.3 is a 62.5% increase over 0.8. Food for thought.

Hey Red Hot, no offense but you're tripping over one of my pet peeves.

"Dampening" is the act of sprinkling with water.

Shock travel is damping the movement of the suspension.

true true...

so is the blending as simple as a 50/50 mix of 12.0 kv100 & 14.00 kv100 = 13.00 kv100 ? ect, for all specs?

or is there some oil blending voodoo CATERHAM needs to explain?
wink.gif

its okay, i rush through typing ahaha. Thanks for the catch.

true true...

so is the blending as simple as a 50/50 mix of 12.0 kv100 & 14.00 kv100 = 13.00 kv100 ? ect, for all specs?

wink.gif

Ha. Caterham blends always start with TGMO 0W-20. I don't need to go lighter.

Blackstone gives the range for 30 wt hot viscosity as 9.1-11.3. Virgin PP 5W-30 starts at 10.25. Mine was 7.31 after 3350 due to the heavy fuel dilution of my short trips and DI turbo. Mazda has recognized the importance of maintaining a minimum 30 wt in these engines. In their warranty extension notice for turbo and timing change, Mazda stressed that the extension is not valid if less than 30 wt is used or the oil isn't changed at the recommended interval.

M1 virgin specs are:

0W-30 = 10.9
5W-30 = 11.0
0W-40 = 13.5

A 50/50 blend would yield: 12.25 which would cover the 3 PT drop I experienced with PP. I may try just two first. Either way, I'll test it.

true true...

wink.gif

Ha. Caterham blends always start with TGMO 0W-20. I don't need to go lighter.

Blackstone gives the range for 30 wt hot viscosity as 9.1-11.3. Virgin PP 5W-30 starts at 10.25. Mine was 7.31 after 3350 due to the heavy fuel dilution of my short trips and DI turbo. Mazda has recognized the importance of maintaining a minimum 30 wt in these engines. In their warranty extension notice for turbo and timing change, Mazda stressed that the extension is not valid if less than 30 wt is used or the oil isn't changed at the recommended interval.

M1 virgin specs are:

0W-30 = 10.9
5W-30 = 11.0
0W-40 = 13.5

A 50/50 blend would yield: 12.25 which would cover the 3 PT drop I experienced with PP. I may try just two first. Either way, I'll test it.

Im not sure straights "points" deducted is correct. For example, % KV100 loss is an indicator of how much the HTHS value also dropped correct? Not a 1:1 correlation but a good idea right?

so your end visc was ~71% of virgin after 3350 miles. Apply that loss to the virgin HTHS of PP 5w-30 (3.1) and you were at 2.21 HTHS, a 10wt basically..maybe light 20wt best case. I think you should go at least minimum 50/50 to thicken that sucker up more. Forget deposit fears... 50/50 would get you an HTHS blend of around 3.4 and so if you took that same % drop after 3k miles you would drop to ~2.5 which is basically light 20wt. Maybe without the 1:1 correlation it ends up a 2.8 etc instead, a heavy 20wt nearing light 30wt.

EDIT: apply that same idea to mine, 62.1 kv100 from the virgin 75 kv100, and i ended up with about a 3.1-3.2 HTHS from the virgin 3.8, which is a light to mid 30wt HTHS.

Last edited:
^ sorry, wrote kv40 values not kv100, its too early

It should be:

"...apply that same idea to mine, 10.8 kv100 from the virgin 13.5 kv100, and i ended up with about a 3.0-3.1 HTHS from the virgin 3.8, which is a light 30wt HTHS. "

If I blend, yes it'll drop in 20wt territory, but so does 90% of 2.0t gdi owners b/c they run straight 5w-30 like its says on the cap, not the "above and beyond" spec of 5w-40 buried in the manual which makes more sense for GDI and turbo.... So i think running 5w-30 for 3k in the winter wouldn't be too bad. UOA will tell the story though.

Last edited:
RHO, thanks for the feedback. I'm more convinced than ever about this blend. I'm going to wait until spring to toss the fresh PP that's in there now since we are approaching winter.

+1

Amsoil is a product line sold through multi-level marketing. Therefore, it will pretty much ALWAYS cost a lot more than a comparable product sold at retail. While a retail product may have markup at the source and wholesaler, an MLM product will be further marked up to pay several levels of distributor commissions. Amsoil itself probably makes less profit on its products than Mobil does. Plus, places like Wal Mart can cut margins to the bone with its suppliers.

Better? Even if it is, is it twice as good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back