M1 0W-40 or 5W-40 for A4 1.8T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father drives a 1997 Audi A4 1.8T with 90000 miles on it. I am changing the oil next week and wanted to run a question past all the oil veterans here, would there be any advantages/disadvantages to running M1 5W-40 over the M1 0W-40, or visa versa? They both seem like great oils so if there is one that is a better fit for my father's car.

quote:

Originally posted by jtn26:
My father drives a 1997 Audi A4 1.8T with 90000 miles on it. I am changing the oil next week and wanted to run a question past all the oil veterans here, would there be any advantages/disadvantages to running M1 5W-40 over the M1 0W-40, or visa versa? They both seem like great oils so if there is one that is a better fit for my father's car.

a 97 1.8T would probably be happer with the 5w-40. less spread = less vii and chances of shearing down. Those engines are tough on oil.

I think the HDEO add pack in the 5w-40 would clean up any lingering sludge problems in the old 1.8t. It is my personal choice as it is a bit thicker than the 0w-40 and V6 Audis like mine do well on it. 0w-40 is more turbo-oriented for coldest climates. You can't really go wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
0W-40 has the proper VWAG approvals, appropriate for this engine. 5W-40 does not.

That alone is good enough for me, although logically 5W-40 SHOULD be good. I currently use the 0W-40 (2001 VW Passat 1.8T), even though I live in "weather wimp" coastal southern California.

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by vvk:
0W-40 has the proper VWAG approvals, appropriate for this engine. 5W-40 does not.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That alone is good enough for me

The certs that M1 has represent a wide variety of inputs, one of which is a MPG stipulation. MPG and wear might be contradictary objectives. When a oil user speaks of "best" usually they mean lowest wear, which is easily quantifiable. Simply counting the number of certifications up does not make a better oil, there would be little need for this forum if that's all there was to it. So to clarify, even though it does not meet Mercedes and CAFE MPG requirments, the thicker 5w-40 might give better wear numbers, run cleaner and last longer. After all, it has all those impressive industrial specs.
grin.gif

Mobil 1 0w-40 is the best.If you notice any abnormal noise when hot then go for 5w-40.Try Motul 8100 E -Tech 0w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back