M1 0W-40 In Hyundai GDI 2.0L

When the 2.0T Thetas first came out they were spec'd for 5w40, that was later changed to A5 rated 5w30, most speculation for the reason so centered around on-spec 5w40 being hard to find. I think M1 0w40 would work great in your 2.0T. I bet if you search the Interwebs enough you will find other 2.0T owners running M1 0w40.

I used M1 HM 10w30 in my non-DI 2.4 Theta one time and it had never run quieter. I think the M1 HM 10w30 I used was more than 12cSt IIRC, it was the older A3/B4 rated stuff. I can't see how an additional 1.4 cSt would cause any problems in your Theta.

When the 2.0T Thetas first came out they were spec'd for 5w40, that was later changed to A5 rated 5w30, most speculation for the reason so centered around on-spec 5w40 being hard to find. I think M1 0w40 would work great in your 2.0T. I bet if you search the Interwebs enough you will find other 2.0T owners running M1 0w40.

I used M1 HM 10w30 in my non-DI 2.4 Theta one time and it had never run quieter. I think the M1 HM 10w30 I used was more than 12cSt IIRC, it was the older A3/B4 rated stuff. I can't see how an additional 1.4 cSt would cause any problems in your Theta.

Thank you Brons2, for an informative, honest opinion.

I've got a Hyundai 2.0L MPI engine and I've run what seems like everything reasonable through it- 0/5W-20, 0/5W-30, and now 10W-30. No issues at all. I'm thinking about running a 0W-40 through it next and don't expect any issues with that either.

What's old is new again. GDI engines can be tough on oil. 0w40 would work. What does your manual say? It will drop in viscosity but you'll have more wiggle room to handle it. HT/HS of 3.5 isn't a bad idea for many of these fuel diluting engines. Preferably one with little VII's.

Too much Calcium in M1 0W-40 for my Turbo/GDI Golf and that's the reason I am staying away from this oil even though it's VW502.00 approved.

INFINEUM on Calcium detrimental effect on LSPI in Turbo/GDI engines.
Calcium.jpg

Last edited:
Too much Calcium in M1 0W-40 for my Turbo/GDI Golf and that's the reason I am staying away from this oil even though it's VW502.00 approved.

INFINEUM on Calcium detrimental effect on LSPI in Turbo/GDI engines.
View attachment 30451

The LS part of LSPI may be the reason VW approves it as they mitigate it by not allowing high load and boost at low RPM levels. Just spitballing here.

If the manual listed 5W40 then I believe you could safely run 0W40 in the turbo 2.0L no more than a 5K OCI (shorter OCI's with a turbo engine are your friend) .

Back