M1 0W-40, 6,205 Miles, 2012 VW GTI 2.0L TSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
1z3tn5z.jpg

I know that the OE recommended interval is 10,000 miles on VW 502 spec oil. But I also know that VW also included 30,000 mile free maintenance, so I'm skeptical if the 10,000 mile interval was to save money on the maintenance program. Hence why I decided to do a UOA to find out.

I'm not convinced the silicon is an issue, 14ppm seems too low to be a filtration issue, especially when that's only 6ppm higher than average. The air filter is only 1 year old and correctly installed by myself. Oil filter was a Mann Filter W719/45 (OE filter).

Drive cycle is 80% highway, but I do often drive it hard, redline shifts are quite common, that's how this car is meant to be driven. Typical 0W-40 shearing down to a thick 30 weight, but that's fine by me. I'm pleased with this result. Proof that not all DIs have crazy fuel dilution as well. With a 7.5 TBN, I'll plan on running the current fill out longer (I'm thinking 8,000 miles for this fill).

Nice report, you can easily go 80000mi like you said or even 10000mi since you do mostly highway.

I always wonder why the 2.0 always produce iron in the 20s from the many UOAs I've seen, high tension piston rings?

I agree, most TSI's seem to have iron numbers in the 20s. My educated guess is high tension rings coupled with the iron block. It doesn't seem to burn a drop of oil, those rings clearly scrape the oil off the cylinders really well.

Been using it a while, this was the 2nd consecutive fill of M1 0W-40. Castrol 5W-40 (dealer fill) was in it before that.

That's because of the high remaining (3,400 ppm!) of calcium, still in it. I think TBN isn't that of a good indicator of activity for additive package anymore, but only detergency acid netralization capability, on these high calcium oils. AW, Corrosion Inhibitor, AF, VII, can't be seen by TBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back