M1 0w-30 in engine w/ 195k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey BITOGers

I am thinking of trying out M1 0w30 in my 93 dodge minivan, just because I've always wanted to try it and to see what it does for my mileage, if anything. The car has has 195k mi on it. It currently has M1 5w30 in it, which has been in there for 7.5k mi, and I think is due for an OC (btw the manual calls for 10w30 and 3000mi OCI's).
I realize M1 is probably overkill in such an old car, but I kind of want to see how long I can keep it on the road.

I have a few questions.
a. Will the 0w oil be a problem? I had to add half a quart at 6000mi, so it doesn't seem to be using much oil.
b. will it help quiet the engine better than the 5w30? It is pretty noisy with quite a few stuck lifters I'm sure, but my Dad says it's just how it is with old engines and I should just live with it.
c. I'll be having a UOA done just to verify, but is 7500mi a reasonable OCI?

With the cold winter coming here in MI, I'm hoping the 0w oil may give me some benefits with starting in the cold weather, too.
My daily commute is mostly highway, about 45mi/day
A friend of mine said that Royal Purple freed his stuck lifters, but RP cost more than I'm willing to spend on oil, unless someone can change my mind that it will really be better than M1.

I should also add that I've had problems with one rocker arm not getting oil, that has needed replacing multiple times. It is still making a ticking noise like it did before it failed, but it has been about 20,000mi since I last replaced it, so it may be resolved. I'm guessing the cause of that is a blocked oil passage somewhere.

Thanks in advance

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: akmac
a. Will the 0w oil be a problem? I had to add half a quart at 6000mi, so it doesn't seem to be using much oil.

0w doesn't mean anything important once the oil is up to its operating temperature. It's the 30 -- and all the other properties of the oil -- that count.

If you do decide to switch, remember not to judge oil consumption until after one or two oil changes; switching oils can sometimes cause consumption to spike.

b. will it help quiet the engine better than the 5w30? It is pretty noisy with quite a few stuck lifters I'm sure, but my Dad says it's just how it is with old engines and I should just live with it.

Maybe, maybe not. The only way to find out is to try it.

c. I'll be having a UOA done just to verify, but is 7500mi a reasonable OCI?

IF everything is in good running order, then yes, most likely. But that's a big "if."

A friend of mine said that Royal Purple freed his stuck lifters, but RP cost more than I'm willing to spend on oil, unless someone can change my mind that it will really be better than M1.

That sounds plausible. What was he running before Royal Purple?

I should also add that I've had problems with one rocker arm not getting oil, that has needed replacing multiple times. It is still making a ticking noise like it did before it failed, but it has been about 20,000mi since I last replaced it, so it may be resolved. I'm guessing the cause of that is a blocked oil passage somewhere.

I would suggest an Auto-Rx treatment. It might get rid of some gunk and get things working a little better for you.

Your lifters may not be stuck, but may have wear.
Anywhere wear in the valve train can contribute to noise.
So cleaning things internally can help or actually make noise louder by increasing clearances!

I see MI, with cold winters. That 0-30 should be great for starting and flow.
No one can tell if it will burn more oil or not in your engine.
And it may give a slight MPG improvement. Cold and intermediate viscosity is a bit thinner.

OK thanks for the input. I'm going to run a round of ARX treatment with Castrol GTX and then give some GC a try. I think since it's thicker than most 30wt. oils that it may increase my oil pressure and quiet things down in the valvetrain and rockers. maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back