M1 0w-30 AFE vs. M1 5w-30 ep vs m1 delvac 1 5w-30 hdeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there really a difference? Do you really have to put dexos rated oil in a 2015 Tahoe? Why not the delvac hdeo?

Does the extended performance 15k mile OCI oil work better for gas engines over delvac 1 esp which diesels run 30k miles ++?

I understand they are "just looking out for us" but for real, why not just run HDEO in everything? I know alot of folks that do it and never have had any oil related issues. MY uncles ran Delo 400 that they got for free in their $100k drag cars that made 2500hp.

When you think you got it figured out, they make the next best mouse trap.......

Heck I know a guy that puts two stroke oil in his diesel fuel at 100:1 ratio because he says it lubricates fuel system components better since they took all the good stuff out of diesel and gasoline

Everything I have seemingly found is that its better to have any kind of oil than too little of any of the "good stuff"

This is America. You can do whatever you want to. I would follow your Owner's Manual specifications.

Lol, I'm not claiming to be the expert on anything....... but I sure would like to hear logical differences to something I never really thought was a big deal until a few years ago.....
Heck when we were poor junior high, high school and college kids we put whatever oil dad or the uncles had laying around in the 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, and vehicles.... most of the time it was Castrol gtx 20w-50 or pennzoil HD sae-30. I remember one time even running engine oil as a premix in my suzuki rm125 because I had no premix oil and wanted to ride that weekend and was broke. Nothing ever blew up or wore out or burned oil..... these questions I have are the reason I joined this forum...... knowledge is like horsepower, its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! Right?

Make sure the oil you use meets the manufacturer's specifications. Change it and the filter according to the proper maintenance schedule and you will be golden.

Oil keeps the parts separated and the additive packages are more the enough for the manufactures intended purposes. Heavy Duty Engine Oils great oils but if the least oil keeps the parts separated and the additives work for the oil change interval and operation would going to as oil with triple of everything will not show any difference. The 0w will giver better starts below what a 5W would. I think from off the top of my head 5 wt is good to -30*f.
My gut feeling is the HDEO would be better but then my gut knows that we probably would never be able to prove it being better.. Is a 20 foot ladder better than a 10 foot ladder to get out of a 6 foot hole??? Is Pennzoil premium oil better than Mobil premium oil all marketing claims aside? It is a hard question to answer. Ponder the oil and pick one.

Originally Posted by Jmoney7269
I understand they are "just looking out for us" but for real, why not just run HDEO in everything? I know alot of folks that do it and never have had any oil related issues.
And I bet you know a lot more folks that just use the OEM recommendations and never have any oil related issues.

It seems that you're shopping around a solution that is looking for a problem.
What exactly are you trying to solve and/or improve upon???

Originally Posted by Imp4
I understand they are "just looking out for us" but for real, why not just run HDEO in everything? I know alot of folks that do it and never have had any oil related issues.
And I bet you know a lot more folks that just use the OEM recommendations and never have any oil related issues.

It seems that you're shopping around a solution that is looking for a problem.
What exactly are you trying to solve and/or improve upon???

In all honesty.....
Just wanting to use one oil for everything.....
And the fact that diesel oil cleans better and has more zinc for wear protection.....
Not once have I ever heard of oil in a healthy engine messing a catalytic converter up....
But the kicker to all that thinking is that I been running cheap tractor oil in a $25k Cummins ISM for years and it runs like a champ. And that oil is nasty when it comes out! It stains everything it touches

What is the cheap tractor oil? Over the road semi get over a million miles on Rotella .Delo400 and Mobile 1300 = other [cheap ] oils .. Tractor engines aren't cheap.

And the fact that diesel oil cleans better and has more zinc for wear protection.....

I'd have no problem using Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 in a 2015 Tahoe, warranty concerns notwithstanding. I'm using Shell's equivalent in my G37. However, there is not more zinc in the Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 or the ROTELLA 5w-30 Multi-Vehicle or the Delo variant. E6 lubricants have phosphorus limitations the same as ILSAC levels.

As to which makes more financial sense, that really depends.

There's lots of people here that run 100:1 2-stroke oil in their diesels, especially the mechanical injection pump diesels because the IPs were never designed to run ULSD fuel (I run TCW-3 in both of my IDI diesels). I actually have had bad results with 0W30 AFE in my xB, it sheared to a low 20 grade in 7,000 miles, while M1 EP 5W30 was still a 30 grade after 10K. M1 ESP is a great oil, I use both TDT & ESP 5W40 interchangeably in my Cummins, I'm sure the 5W30 would be fine in a Tahoe, could handle 10K easily.

Originally Posted by Imp4
... It seems that you're shopping around a solution that is looking for a problem. ...

...Nothing ever blew up or wore out or burned oil.....

TBD problem solved ...
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back