Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all good OilUzer
wink.gif

My M1 0w40 meets ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
wink.gif

15498056561206891419323454279167.jpg

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
I've emailed Mobil asking them about AFE 0W-30 and A5/B5.

To follow up on this, I received a response from Mobil (they are always very good with email questions):

Me: I see that Mobil 1 0W-30 (Advanced Fuel Economy) is still shown as meeting ACEA A1/B1. It's my understanding that A1/B1 is no longer an ACEA sequence (removed from 2016 standard). Will M1 0W-30 AFE transition to meeting the A5/B5 standard like the rest of the Mobil 1 lineup?

Mobil: You are right, ACEA A1/B1 Category was removed with the ACEA 2016 Oil Sequences but that's the one still claimed in this product. It doesn't meet yet the A5/B5 standard.

Me: Is Mobil currently working to have 0W-30 AFE meet the A5/B5 standard? Is this something I can expect it to meet within the next year or so?

Mobil: Unknown at this point.

Let's be clear - A1/B1 and A5/B5 were concurrent; A5/B5 does not 'replace' A5/B5, it is a higher performance spec. Also, A1/B1 can still be claimed - the ACEA rules allow for obsolete specs to be claimed so long as only the latest available version is claimed and that the product held this spec before it was withdrawn.

Originally Posted by weasley
Let's be clear - A1/B1 and A5/B5 were concurrent; A5/B5 does not 'replace' A5/B5, it is a higher performance spec. Also, A1/B1 can still be claimed - the ACEA rules allow for obsolete specs to be claimed so long as only the latest available version is claimed and that the product held this spec before it was withdrawn.

Thanks for the clarification on claiming obsolete standards.

And agree A5/B5 was totally separate than A1/B1 (just like how A3/B3 and A3/B4 are separate).

It's quite possible that M1 AFE 0W-30 is not marketed in Europe and they didn't spend money for the latest A5/B5 tests as a result. Chemical limits are OK otherwise.

There is really nothing special about A5/B5. Most synthetic GF-5 xW-30 oils should meet it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back