M1 0w-20 or Pennzoil 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a Honda Pilot 3.5 L V-6, and a CRV 2.4 L I-4.
Severe OCI for Pilot is 3,750, 5,000 for CRV. 5w-20 is recommended for both.

I am old school and do 3,000 to 4,000 OCI. The CRV is driven around town by my wife. I drive the Pilot about 60 % Hwy (80mph), 40 % city.

I live in Richmond, and it gets hot and humid here in the summer........I do have some worries that the Pennzoil may thin out more than M1.

With a 3,000-4,000 OCI is it worth the extra $15 per oil change to use M1? Will M1 offer better fuel mileage....longer engine/catalyst life?

[ May 02, 2004, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I'm currenlty using Pennzoil 5w20 in a car spec'd for 10w30 and I'm perfectly comfortable running this oil for 3000 miles. I suspect the 3000 mile UOA will show that it can easily go 4000-5000 miles under my driving conditions.

Mobil 1 0w20 and Pennzoil 5w20 are remarkably similar in the way they are built when it comes to their FM/AW package: moly, boron, over base calcium and ZDDP. The Mobil 1 is, of course, PAO-based, while the Pennzoil uses hydrocracked and isodewaxed Group II+. But if you're going to stick to 3000 or 4000 mile OCIs, I think the Mobil 1 will be overkill and the Pennzoil 5w20 will do just fine.

For the Honda Pilot 3.5 L V-6, I recommend the M1 0w-20 if you feel the need to follow the 5w20 recommendation year-round. In my mind, the roughly $5/month extra cost for a full synthetic from a reputable company is cheap insurance compared to the cost of that vehicle, and you also buy yourself some flexibility on when you schedule your next oil changes, as you can probably go with at least 6K OCIs on it.

As far as the CRV, from the limited data we have, it seems the Honda 4 cylinders do very well on the "current" 5w20s, and if you wanted to pinch pennies, this is where I would do it. Although, I'd personally keep the OCIs to a max of 5K.

All the above assumes you don't race, autocross, or drive you vehicles real hard in the hottest part of the summer.

My 2 cents.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
I agree. Although according to johnny.....the 5w20 is now entirely GII+.

That's what I said in my post.
confused.gif

"Although..." implies I said something different.
dunno.gif

quote:

All the above assumes you don't race, autocross, or drive you vehicles real hard in the hottest part of the summer.

I race, autocross, and drive my vehicle extremely hard in 90-110F heat.

You can check out my 0w-20 UOA's on my 3.0 Liter mazduratec V6 Mazda 6s in the UOA section or @ this url.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=36

Top link is the direct URL to the UOA, bottom link is the bob's analysis of said UOA.

If i were you, Id use the m1 0w20 in the crv and the honda pilot. Im running the m1 0w20 in my 02 civic ex for 6000 mi oil changes, and I am having no probs at all.

quote:

Originally posted by crossbow:

quote:

I race, autocross, and drive my vehicle extremely hard in 90-110F heat.

You can check out my 0w-20 UOA's on my 3.0 Liter mazduratec V6 Mazda 6s in the UOA section or @ this url.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=36

Top link is the direct URL to the UOA, bottom link is the bob's analysis of said UOA.

1.) He has a Honda 3.5 L V6.

2.) I've tried the M1 0w20 and you can check out my UOA.

3.) I'm not yet sold on this idea that one VIS fit's ALL situations and conditions.

4.) You're totally entitled to hold your opinion as you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back