M1 0W-20 ESP Tracer?

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm that all VW 508 00 oils have the green tracer dye as a requirement for certification? Specifically wondering about the ESP 0W-20, which does carry the 508 00.

Yes, I've done a couple changes on our Tiguan with ESP X2 0W-20 (508.00 certified) and it has a very apparent green tint.

Yep. And the dye is actually blue. When mixed in amberish-yellow base oil it gives the green tint. 508 is sometimes called blue-oil in Europe because of the dye color. M1 ESP X2 0W-20 definately has a green tint to it and is all but absolutely confirmed to be the repackaged VW dealer oil.

My understanding is that if an oil is approved for VW 508, then it will have the tracer. It's part of the specification.

But does it stay somewhat green or show green on a paper towel when the dealer would go to check what's in it?

But does it stay somewhat green or show green on a paper towel when the dealer would go to check what's in it?
Not really, especially if it has some miles on it. Dye is added to prevent service techs from putting this oil it into engines that aren't speced for a 20wt. It's not to primarily ensure that it is put it in engines that spec it for warranty purposes, but many are conspiracy theorists :p. The zirconium is for that ;).

Not really, especially if it has some miles on it. Dye is added to prevent service techs from putting this oil it into engines that aren't speced for a 20wt. It's not to primarily ensure that it is put it in engines that spec it for warranty purposes, but many are conspiracy theorists :p. The zirconium is for that ;).
"Bro, they totally test it anytime you bring in your car for service. The oil pump is specially made for it so if you run 5W40 Liquimoly/the Lord's oil they will know as it saves a code they see when they scan it. I hear you get TD1'd for it bro. Bro." - MK7 bro

"Bro, they totally test it anytime you bring in your car for service. The oil pump is specially made for it so if you run 5W40 Liquimoly/the Lord's oil they will know as it saves a code they see when they scan it. I hear you get TD1'd for it bro. Bro." - MK7 bro
Yeah, but not like horrible death for people who are using heavier oils in Toyota!

Bro.

I ran the ESP 5W30 for one interval. It didn’t hurt a thing. When the warranty is up, I will go to a VW 504.00/507.00 oil. If I don’t trade before the warranty is up.
My plan is run the ESP 0W-30 since it has 504/507. I figure during the remaining warranty period I will buy ESP 0W-20 and just return it, save original receipts if there is ever a warranty claim show documentation for a 508 spec. :sneaky:

LSPI prevention was a 508 requirement and believe why a Zirconium additive was added. I guess they are wagering against the consumers intelligence because many will use generic nontoptier US87 regular or equivalent. The oil will not be their savior.

The oil glows with a UV light. The dye is a requirement of the 508 spec. All licensed oils will have it. But, there will be some unlicensed meets/exceeds that might not. So, buy a UV light and check for yourself.

Not sure how much dye concentration is needed for a 'pass'. My 508 sump has a quart of a 'filler' oil. This interval's filler is a quart of Amsoil 15w50 diluted with the remainder of Valvoline euro 508 0w20. I also use a larger 3600 sized filter in place of the 3614 sized filter on my 1.4T. It lives on a diet of US91 to 93 premium toptier depending on where I fill up. US93 octane toptier is pretty common around here. I've run other nonVW spec oils in the engine. And, I don't care for the 10k mile interval either.

MobilExxon is the current supplier to VW for their oil. So, when you buy VW oil at the dealer, you are probably getting the espx2 0w20. Castrol was the previous supplier with their FE LL 0w20 stuff.

Approval list so nothing to worry about.

Back