M1 0W-20 EP Is 60-70% PAO [Possibly True?] -65F

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at foreign MSDS listings they have to apparently show things by percentages. Shows M1 0W-20 Extended Protection to be 60-70% PAO If you Look at the Canada MSDS on Mobil 1 0W-20

Go to Mobil 1 MSDS website Link below. Plug in Canada.

This is probably old news to some but if this is accurate I find this phenomenal. Wish me luck on running the M1EP 0W-20 its MRV is my big attraction for the winter & the PAO.

Now I know how they flow down to -54 Celsius / -65 Fahrenheit

Believe all of their 0W oils use much PAO. Look for " Decene " on the MSDS List

5W+ are mostly group III I believe.

http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/IntApps/psims/psims.aspx

Just put that oil in new 5.3L … very quiet compared to my other 5.3L … too soon to tell how long the OLM will let me run it … but easy to monitor using those naughty steering wheel buttons …

I'm currently using M1 0w-40 on my Nissan Versa with the fiver. Been noticing increased reaction times and it's more quiet.

Last edited:
Wow, crazy flow temp. Perfect for winter, even down here in Florida. Hahahaha. Cold starts SUCK.

Interesting.
I have 5 qts sitting on the shelf in the garage that I got for $2/qt at the Auto Zone clearance last year.

No need for the 0w portion of the oil here in south Texas, but looks to be good stuff (and I know a lot of UOA's show it to be).

No, the MSDS lists the same ammounts for AP as is does EP. What I am unsure about is if mPAO is listed at all.

Originally Posted By: spj
No, the MSDS lists the same ammounts for AP as is does EP. What I am unsure about is if mPAO is listed at all.

Well the MSDS will list a range and not a specific percentage. MSDS are not intended for reverse engineering an oil.

I also doubt that in the context of an MSDS the different PAO varieties would have meaningful safety and firefighting differences which would warrant a separate category. As someone who used to write MSDS for a living I would never trust any of the percentages given in an MSDS, but maybe that's just me.

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 60 - < 70% = PAO basestock

Thought many of the other 0W's of Mobil 1 would/could have it but looking like the 0W-20 M1 Extended Performance is the only one with this high supposed concentration (60-70%).

At least I now know that Decene in a MSDS would be PAO. If we can trust the percentages is a completely different question I suppose.

Not sure why they dont use the 60-70% PAO in many of there other oils in the "Extended Performance Line". Guess with the Extended Performance 0W-20 they charge enough extra to fund the PAO and have a stellar 0W in the lineup. All others and they have to compete with group III price point competition.

Link:
http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/IntApps/psims/psims.aspx

Not looking to reverse engineer anything, but why list any percentage at all then?
They list a +/-10 percent range for a reason.

Originally Posted By: spj
Not looking to reverse engineer anything, but why list any percentage at all then?
They list a +/-10 percent range for a reason.

Okay, if you say so.

Thanks,

Just trying to stay in the $20-30 5qt range which mostly puts me in the group III range.

But noticed seams this particular one has very high PAO which makes it an extremely good value.

OW-20 M1 EP seams to have a lot of PAO if MSDS is to be believed. Even the American MSDS shows 60-70% high PAO on the 0W-20

Originally Posted By: Fallguy
Thanks,

Just trying to stay in the $20-30 5qt range which mostly puts me in the group III range.

But noticed seams this particular one has very high PAO which makes it an extremely good value.

OW-20 M1 EP seams to have a lot of PAO if MSDS is to be believed. Even the American MSDS shows 60-70% high PAO on the 0W-20

Also all M1 oils have some esters.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Just put that oil in new 5.3L … very quiet compared to my other 5.3L … too soon to tell how long the OLM will let me run it … but easy to monitor using those naughty steering wheel buttons …

Since your OLM knows exactly what oil you are using, you may never need to change oil again.

Originally Posted By: U_S
Just put that oil in new 5.3L &#133; very quiet compared to my other 5.3L &#133; too soon to tell how long the OLM will let me run it &#133; but easy to monitor using those naughty steering wheel buttons &#133;

Since your OLM knows exactly what oil you are using, you may never need to change oil again.

I totally ignore the OLM and just go with the 10K OCI.

Originally Posted By: U_S

giphy.gif

....yeah

the OLM is software based not sensor based and has no idea what oil you are running it could be bacon grease for all it knows.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back