M1 0W-20 AFE vs. M1 0W-20 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone come across EP's MRV viscosity? With my highway driving I could easily do the 15k, but I don't know if the cold weather performance is as good as AFE.

Do a search here and you will find that they are very comparable viscosity wise... The EP has a slightly better add pack which also helps with a longer OCI.

Dynamic viscosity, MRV and CCS. Not kinematic visc. Mobil Super 0W-20 has very similar kinematic visc to AFE too, but the MRV is almost triple.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
Cold weather performance difference between two 0W-20's? Negligible may be an overstatement.

Really?

MRV:

M1 AFE 0W-20: 9200 cP
Mobil Super 0W-20: 26800 cP

The EP is reported to be ~70% PAO and M1 touts the EP line as their flagship oil. I'm willing to bet that the EP will flow in temperatures that would freeze your skin.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
The EP is reported to be ~70% PAO and M1 touts the EP line as their flagship oil. I'm willing to bet that the EP will flow in temperatures that would freeze your skin.

Agreed. And the increased pao content should improve cold pumpability but one should consider all the variables.
FX took AFE to 16000 miles iirc in a 5.4 mod motor and I think he was going over 20000 miles with EP.
So consider that. And because of the higher percentage of pao cold weather pumpability should be better. How much I don't know for sure.
Now as many here know I'm not a mobil fan however 15000 mile guarantees are tough to look past.
Amsoil says 25000 miles and costs more so if considering cost per mile mobil might even have the edge,and one can't complain about availability and cost.
Even though I don't like the company I really can't knock the product. The guarantee is gold. No one else is doing it and I trust mobil to back it up.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Has anyone come across EP's MRV viscosity? With my highway driving I could easily do the 15k, but I don't know if the cold weather performance is as good as AFE.

Your question is a bit beyond most of those on this board. I haven't seen the number you are requesting but I'm interested to know, too. I just put M1 AFE 0W20 2 days ago.

Also, AFE is capable of 15k mi OCIs, too.

Last edited:
Figured so, though sometimes members occasionally have gems of useful information.

Looking through the msds', the 0W-20 is the only one where the EP has substantially more than in regular M1. Has anyone used both? I wonder which might be quieter.

I've used 0w-20 AFE, 5w-20 EP, and am now using 0w-20 EP in an 07 Honda Accord V6. The first 2 seemed to be about the same for noise, but the 0w-20 EP seems to be a little quieter.

Conditions: 13K OCI (2x maintenance minder) in mixed driving, UOA shows very low wear, add pack is mostly used up. You are probably OK with 15K for mostly highway.

Last edited:
Thanks N02. Your post and UOA are particularly helpful since you've got the same engine. Have you used Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum?

I used PP 0w-20 once - also very quiet. (I can't find PU in my area). I've had problems getting rebates processed from Sopus so I stopped buying their products. The 'fuel rewards' program isn't much of a savings for me either - Costco is usually $0.25-0.30 c/gal cheaper than Shell anyway. Shell has the 'ski free' program starting up shortly so I might reconsider.

All of the oils you mentioned are excellent, but I chose 0w-20 EP (only place I found it is walmart) for better winter performance at the same low cost per mile as 5w-20 EP. When labor , mileage, and a new filter are included, an EP oil change costs about 50% less and saves an hour or two.

Last night it was 12 deg, and the car started after only an additional 0.5 sec crank time over 50 deg. I also haven't heard any valve noise which I have experienced for a few seconds after startup in extremely cold weather.

I've been using M1 filters for the high quality+warranty, but switched to Fram Ultra (also from Walmart) after M1 filters became more expensive and difficult to find. Amazon used to sell M1 multipacks fairly cheaply.

So far zero oil consumption in 13K with 5w-20EP, hopefully ow-20 will remain consistent. I usually have enough left over in the jug for my lawnmower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back